First big RV towing trip and stranded in Midland TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, I've had some similar issues, not while towing though. The codes mine threw had nothing to do with tranny, in fact it was with emissions control junk. And literally I was at about the same RPM as the OP, trying to accelerate up a hill in CO. Went into limp mode and shook the whole rig multiple times.

This is why I now travel with at least one device that can pull and reset codes (both my tuner and a cheap Amazon sourced OBD scanner). I pulled over, read the codes, reset the codes and bam, was able to drive to my destination fine. These things seem to be incredibly touchy! I would have assumed that if the tranny was overheating, the gauge cluster would have notified the driver of that condition, as it doesn't happen instantly, it would have been a condition that would have progressed over a period.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have assumed that if the tranny was overheating, the gauge cluster would have notified the driver of that condition,
You're right, I forget how much better the instrumentation is on the newer vehicles.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious but what OBD reader do you use and is one compatible with an iphone? I have an obd reader I keep in my jeep as well as an old android phone to use the torque app with it. Haven't tried it on the ford yet and haven't used forscan.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious but what OBD reader do you use and is one compatible with an iphone? I have an obd reader I keep in my jeep as well as an old android phone to use the torque app with it. Haven't tried it on the ford yet and haven't used forscan.
I dont think your question was directed to me, but I use a generic Bluetooth ELM327 adapter with Torque app on Android. This one is configured for driving. I also have a USB OBDLink EX for use with FORScan.

OP
OP
S

skydiver

Reaction score
So an update:
- Rogers Ford sucks and I am going to give a detailed feedback on yelp. DO NOT GO TO THIS Dealer
- Sewel Ford in Odessa listended to my situation and after getting refused to be allowed to even talk to a service manager at Rogers Ford, Michael Fabbri at Sewel not only got my truck in right away, but got a service tech working on it while I was there. They determined it is my tank mounted Fuel pump and they ordered the part yesterday (THU) coming from Dallas.

They called me at 9a today and they are going to have it installed and ready to go this afternoon (FRI). I cant say enough about how great the service at Sewel Ford in Odessa has been. They drove me to the RV park after getting my truck in and are going to send a car to come and get me when it is ready,

mr_dave I attached my window sticker here. I have confirmed I have the 3.73 rear differential from the rocker sticker I also have the 7 pin trailer hitch which is indicative of what Ford calls the Class IV Heavy Duty Tow package even though is it listed as just Calss IV Tow package on the windows sticker. I would like to confirm this but Fors ETIS doesn't appear to work for listing all functional features any longer.

If anyone can assist with definitive confirmation, it would be most appreciated.
My next call to Lombard Ford is going to see if I can add-on loaner vehicle to my ESP program coverage

Attachments

• 2022-04-29 11_32_54-Window Sticker EXPEDITION.pdf - Foxit Reader.png
    2022-04-29 11_32_54-Window Sticker EXPEDITION.pdf - Foxit Reader.png
    577.8 KB · Views: 53

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So an update:
- Rogers Ford sucks and I am going to give a detailed feedback on yelp. DO NOT GO TO THIS Dealer
- Sewel Ford in Odessa listended to my situation and after getting refused to be allowed to even talk to a service manager at Rogers Ford, Michael Fabbri at Sewel not only got my truck in right away, but got a service tech working on it while I was there. They determined it is my tank mounted Fuel pump and they ordered the part yesterday (THU) coming from Dallas.

They called me at 9a today and they are going to have it installed and ready to go this afternoon (FRI). I cant say enough about how great the service at Sewel Ford in Odessa has been. They drove me to the RV park after getting my truck in and are going to send a car to come and get me when it is ready,

mr_dave I attached my window sticker here. I have confirmed I have the 3.73 rear differential from the rocker sticker I also have the 7 pin trailer hitch which is indicative of what Ford calls the Class IV Heavy Duty Tow package even though is it listed as just Calss IV Tow package on the windows sticker. I would like to confirm this but Fors ETIS doesn't appear to work for listing all functional features any longer.

If anyone can assist with definitive confirmation, it would be most appreciated.
My next call to Lombard Ford is going to see if I can add-on loaner vehicle to my ESP program coverage
I believe all Expeditions come with the Class IV towing package which is 7 pin and hitch. The heavy duty tow package would be listed under the options on the lower left of the window sticker. It appears you don't have it. An easy way to tell if you have the heavy duty towing package is if you have the Pro Trailer Backup assist knob and brake controller on your dash. If they are there you do, if they aren't there you don't. I'm not sure how you can have the 3.73 without it from the factory. I think the Max has that but you don't have a Max from that sticker. Perhaps someone else on here can speak to that.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a picture:

Attachments

• 2794b0899656d081cb8e08ca873bc804.jpg
    2794b0899656d081cb8e08ca873bc804.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 72

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So an update:

You have the standard Class IV towing package, but under your options on your window sticker, you are missing the Free Standing Package "536" for the HD towing package. I'm also betting your door data tag shows "X15" which is the standard 4x4 3:31 rear gear set and not the HD tow package equipped-X3L 3:73" gear set you believe it to be.

As equipped, your truck is rated to tow 5,800-6,000lbs with a properly balanced class IV trailer hitch.
If you had the HD towing package, which again, your window sticker shows you do not, it would have been 9,200lbs

Post a picture of your door data tag and we can go from there.

Bill

PS: Regardless of what you have read online, having a 7 Pin trailer connection does not mean you have the HD towing package.

Attachments

• 2019-HD.towing.package.jpg
    2019-HD.towing.package.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score

As others have mentioned you do not appear to have HD Tow package, which would limit you to 6000lb trailer weight and 55sqft trailer frontal area, which I'm assuming you are pushing with the current trailer.

That being said, very glad you found a good dealer who was quickly able to diagnose a relatively benign problem!

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS: Regardless of what you have read online, having a 7 Pin trailer connection does not mean you have the HD towing package.
The HD Tow package has been very confusing since it keeps changing based on model years. For some older years, the 7pin connector was a good indicator. Newer vehicles seem to have it standard.