First Gen Qs on Lifting, Etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am an old time first gen'er --1997,1998, 2000... but never went with much mods on them.

Found a super clean, one owner, 1999 XLT 5.4/4x4/tow package and 199K on the clock for $5K.

Looking to build a heavier duty 4x4 machine and wondering your thoughts if it's a good place to start?
As to the following mods, if someone can give me the run-down on if these are feasable w/o much trouble/outrageous costs.

1) 3-4 inch suspension lift (diff drop?) with a good ride
2) 37's w/ 4.11-4.56s
3) Electronic Locker Front (or line lock front)
4) Electronic Locker Rear
4) Heavy Duty front axles/CVs
5) Snorkel
6) Extended fuel tank

Thank you for your time!

ExpyD

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am an old time first gen'er --1997,1998, 2000... but never went with much mods on them.

Found a super clean, one owner, 1999 XLT 5.4/4x4/tow package and 199K on the clock for $5K.

Looking to build a heavier duty 4x4 machine and wondering your thoughts if it's a good place to start?
As to the following mods, if someone can give me the run-down on if these are feasable w/o much trouble/outrageous costs.

1) 3-4 inch suspension lift (diff drop?) with a good ride
2) 37's w/ 4.11-4.56s
3) Electronic Locker Front (or line lock front)
4) Electronic Locker Rear
4) Heavy Duty front axles/CVs
5) Snorkel
6) Extended fuel tank

Thank you for your time!

ExpyD
Well you most be set on a 1st gen because that's a lot of mods. I have a 2003 F-150 so the 5.4L will feel the 37s. Also note, you have to replace the front diff if you change the rear. I'll add another mod to your list, a Lightning Supercharger. You'll have to change the bottom end if you want to do it right but at 199k miles you should do it anyway. Wouldn't cost that much either. A Lightning Supercharger would cost less than some HD axles. If you are interested let me know, I can get you a full list on what you need.

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. But why do I have to replace the front diff? I am aware I need a gear set for F/R and they will be two different sizes.
I have no intentions of adding a blower, and well aware the truck has no beans even when stock lol. I would keep it N/A, and simply regear it.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have air ride or standard shocks? Also what size 37’s are you planning on running?

Stepcajun

Reaction score
Hey Dave,
I'm doing a similar build on my 01,
Currently running 37s but need to regear both axles.
I did supreme suspension kit with Bilstein shocks.
The 1st gens are great off-road
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360