first gen windshield leak; by Thermo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbirdrules

Reaction score
2001 Water leaks from Windshield

Hi All:
I am new to the forum as well! I own a 2001 Expedition Sport with the off road package. It is all original and has 178,000 kms on it. Love the truck it handles great - even with the 4.6!! I also have water leaking from the windshield area. On the left side the water comes thru the grab handle and drops onto the A/C vent. I also have the wet spot on the carpet. I have to have the same issue on the right hand side where the blower motor rusts out. I am on the 3rd one. Other than that, I have experienced no electrical or computer issues as of yet. Is it the leaking windshield syndrome? Can they save the windshield?
( just in case if you noticed my name is based on my 91 t-bird I own. That too is original and still new looking - with the 5.0 H.O.)

tbirdrules

Reaction score
The leaking Windshield Saga continues

Thanks All for your inputs. So far in a real hard rain, I only get the dripping from the handrail and when I first open the door. Everything else is running fine. I will probably get the windshield tested out for leaks.

I had some yawhoo at a ford dealership tell me they would have to break the windshield and replace to fix the problem. Can you believe that load of crap!!

M1757

Reaction score
I have an 01 and water started coming out of both grab handles on the A pillars. I went to have it resealed but the laminate between the glass was separated so it was just completely replaced.

tinman13kup

Reaction score
Hmmm, this sounds strangely familiar. I own a 99 F350 (diesel) and one of the common problems is also the windshield leaking, which drips onto the gem, but the bigger issue is the water wicks into the back of the fusebox and starts connecting hot-at-all-times circuits to hot-in-run. Some issues include the truck not shutting off, auto's trying to start on their own, fans running, relays chattering.

B

bedrck46

Just replaced my windshield yesterday, and a rock hit it this morning on the freeway and cracked it..........sigh. Gotta get a new, new one.

Did you by chance look up and see a dark cloud hanging over your head

Mammoth

Reaction score
Where's the GEM module located exactly? I had my window sealed shortly after I bought my 2000 EB due to crazy electronic issues but my rear wiper works when it wants and when I adjust my passenger side mirror the radio stops while pressing the mirror adjust knob. Maybe there's some water in my module (????)

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had same issue with my 2000 expedition 4x4 about a week back. Mine was so bad my starter would start grinding like I was turning key while it was running. You have to pull the fuse box/ gem module, their bolted together under drivers side dash. Like roxy 1255 told me last week, take a hair dryer to fuse box and gem module to dry it out. What I also did was put die electric grease on all the relay and fuse connection points on fuse box. I also sealed windshield on drivers side bottom, as well as side. Window weld is one of the better sealers. But black silicone will also work. Good luck.