First Post, New Guy--Long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry this is so long.

After lurking and reading here for months, I've decided to join. Bought my Expy last Nov. I currently have just shy of 11k on it, and that includes a 2200 mile move from the east coast to AZ. The wife drove it, I was stuck in the Penske truck. I bought it as a demo with around 4000 miles. So, yes, it's really got like 5000 miles from me.

Anyway, I must say a few things. First, maybe, I come from a GM family! This is my first new Ford in 30 years. What does that say about the Expedition? Yes, I LOVE this truck! I looked at Tahoe, Yukon, Highlander, never really considered the Aramda. Looked at the LR Velar and Sport. Too much for less. I was reluctant of the turbo, you know, old school. I drove an Expy, and that was it for me. I was totally hooked. Fast, quiet, didn't drive "big". I do not regret this decision. Even my wife likes it.....that's saying something. Even she says it drives nice and not big.

I guess I got a good one! I have no fit or finish issues. No rattles, nothing coming loose. No paint issues. To date, no problems. The tranny is smooth. If it's in normal, I don't even know what gear I'm in. I don't feel it shifting. I have the tow pack, and in sport, I'm still impressed with how fast it is (even in normal, it's fast). I considered a Limited, but for about the same price, I decided to get a Platinum. Better interior and better equipped. I think the leather and other materials are very nice. I feel it's head and shoulders above the rest. Just couldn't do another GM. Tahoe looks OLD. It'll be interesting what the 2020 (2021) looks like. In fairness, my sister in law has a 17 Tahoe. It's been in the shop several times for little stuff and engine mounts! She loves her Tahoe though.

I've had the mirror thing a few times, but no other issues like some of you have had. No AC issues, no codes, no electronic issues....nothing! Probably just jinxed myself. I honestly can't say anything bad about my Expy. No real nits to pick.

Not great on gas, but knew that going in. For the record, 15-17 around town, but that includes remote starts and idling in the hot AZ sun. One trip while back east, I averaged 22 running 75 on the PA and NJ TPK. My wife averaged a pretty impressive 24-25 while following that Penske truck across the country. I thought that was pretty good considering she had a lot of stuff in the Expy, plus two pets. That shows you what 60-65 mph will do.

That's about it for now. Thanks for reading. I'll add more as I think of things or as you ask questions. Oh, I traded an new 2018 Cadillac CTS with 3500 miles on it for my Expy. We will not get into those stories at this time.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry this is so long.

After lurking and reading here for months, I've decided to join. Bought my Expy last Nov. I currently have just shy of 11k on it, and that includes a 2200 mile move from the east coast to AZ. The wife drove it, I was stuck in the Penske truck. I bought it as a demo with around 4000 miles. So, yes, it's really got like 5000 miles from me.

Anyway, I must say a few things. First, maybe, I come from a GM family! This is my first new Ford in 30 years. What does that say about the Expedition? Yes, I LOVE this truck! I looked at Tahoe, Yukon, Highlander, never really considered the Aramda. Looked at the LR Velar and Sport. Too much for less. I was reluctant of the turbo, you know, old school. I drove an Expy, and that was it for me. I was totally hooked. Fast, quiet, didn't drive "big". I do not regret this decision. Even my wife likes it.....that's saying something. Even she says it drives nice and not big.

I guess I got a good one! I have no fit or finish issues. No rattles, nothing coming loose. No paint issues. To date, no problems. The tranny is smooth. If it's in normal, I don't even know what gear I'm in. I don't feel it shifting. I have the tow pack, and in sport, I'm still impressed with how fast it is (even in normal, it's fast). I considered a Limited, but for about the same price, I decided to get a Platinum. Better interior and better equipped. I think the leather and other materials are very nice. I feel it's head and shoulders above the rest. Just couldn't do another GM. Tahoe looks OLD. It'll be interesting what the 2020 (2021) looks like. In fairness, my sister in law has a 17 Tahoe. It's been in the shop several times for little stuff and engine mounts! She loves her Tahoe though.

I've had the mirror thing a few times, but no other issues like some of you have had. No AC issues, no codes, no electronic issues....nothing! Probably just jinxed myself. I honestly can't say anything bad about my Expy. No real nits to pick.

Not great on gas, but knew that going in. For the record, 15-17 around town, but that includes remote starts and idling in the hot AZ sun. One trip while back east, I averaged 22 running 75 on the PA and NJ TPK. My wife averaged a pretty impressive 24-25 while following that Penske truck across the country. I thought that was pretty good considering she had a lot of stuff in the Expy, plus two pets. That shows you what 60-65 mph will do.

That's about it for now. Thanks for reading. I'll add more as I think of things or as you ask questions. Oh, I traded an new 2018 Cadillac CTS with 3500 miles on it for my Expy. We will not get into those stories at this time.

Same here....love the Expy. I really enjoy taking it on our vacations, so comfortable and easy to drive!! No problems at 3,500 miles. On a light foot I can get 18-19 mpg city and 21-22 mpg highway. My heavy foot days are gone but feel a lot safer in the Expy than in my Silverado....as we get older we need to go big because that little extra poundage can help in a crash. Welcome aboard....by the way lived in Chandler in late 70s to early 80s. Loved the desert!!

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you love it! No issues with mine yet either. Will take her over the 20k mark in August on our trip to Winter Park, CO.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bought new in february of '18 just turned 50k. i agree with OPs sentiments. i did have a pretty wild electrical issue, but it was very quickly addressed and hasn't missed a beat since. i still have problem with weird shift in the 3-4 range but havent bothered to take it in yet. might soon to see what they say.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my 2018 Plati. Excellent highway cruiser, lots of juice...especially on 94 octane. Tons of room. That being said, I was disappointed in the fact that I had a rear main oil seal leak that took two days to repair and the dealer dropping the tranny to get to it. I am always worried these things never perform well after cracking them open. At the same time as that, I had a coolant line hose leak that also had to be repaired so....a few big repairs just prior to the warranty being passed (by mileage).

OP
OP
2018ExpyPlatinum

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the likes and kind words. This really is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Nicer than both Cadillacs I've had. Better materials that actually look and feel like quality. Again, no real nits to pick.

I run 91 octane in it. It's the highest around here in this area of AZ that I can find. Ran 93 in Virginia.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Enjoy my 2018 Limited Max 4WD. Not sure what the platinum adds but I don’t think I need it.

I’ve got right at 42K miles. Gas and oil changes only so far. Mirrors have freaked out a time or 2, but that’s it. Getting around 18 mpg average. It’s about time for some new shoes and I can feel the brakes mildly pulsating from higher speeds and will likely just do brakes and tires around 50k.

Forgot to mention I came from a 2016 Yukon Denali. I miss that sweet V8 sound but the Expedition is leaps and bounds a better vehicle for me

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my SUV too. I considered the CTS when I bought my Genesis sedan in 2015. If you don't mind sharing, it would ber grest to hear what you didn't like about the CTS.

OP
OP
2018ExpyPlatinum

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Biggest thing I didn't like about my CTS was the check engine light and codes that GM didn't have a fix for and multiple dealers couldn't fix. Started at 1700 miles! Codes and issues resulted in very poor gas mileage, rough idle, loss of power. This issue is way too involved to go into here. I also had issues with the tranny on occasion clunking into 1st from reverse and occasional hesitation from a stop, which I think is now a class action suit. Also, the poor service from dealers and GM's lack of support to dealers AND owners. Through this whole experience, all I heard was "no fix yet", "couldn't replicate it", "that's normal". Had enough and dumped it. Found out later that the dealer I traded it too had check engine light issues before they sold it....HA! They probably just cleared the codes. Other than that, I really like my CTS. Remember, I WAS a GM guy for decades.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65