First time buyer questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaddioR

Reaction score
Trying to replace a beloved 2006 Tundra I lost due to frame rust. Sad day. But even sadder was learning how expensive even used pickups and especially Tundras are these days. I had to sell mine for basically scrap value so money is tight. I am ready to go SUV but need to comfortably tow 5k trailer. Expedition numbers are encouraging both from standpoint of purchase price and towing capacity. To the knowledgeable ones here a couple questions:

1. If your budget is $7-10k and hope is for max towing capacity what year and model Expy would you focus on?
2. How do I make sure it is equipped with HD tow package? VIN? Identifying equip?

TIA. And I have enjoyed this forum. Lots of good info. No doubt will be back after purchase.

DaddioR

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to replace a beloved 2006 Tundra I lost due to frame rust. Sad day. But even sadder was learning how expensive even used pickups and especially Tundras are these days. I had to sell mine for basically scrap value so money is tight. I am ready to go SUV but need to comfortably tow 5k trailer. Expedition numbers are encouraging both from standpoint of purchase price and towing capacity. To the knowledgeable ones here a couple questions:

1. If your budget is $7-10k and hope is for max towing capacity what year and model Expy would you focus on?

Your best bet is a 3rd gen with the air suspension if you want to tow heavy. They retain yhe v8, hugely reliable, and have air suspension which makes it steady. Also look for max, as the extra wheelbase helps with towing.

2. How do I make sure it is equipped with HD tow package? VIN? Identifying equip?
This I don't know, but I think there's so.ething on the door sticker that identifies the max towing ability.

TIA. And I have enjoyed this forum. Lots of good info. No doubt will be back after purchase.

DaddioR

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for a 7 pin connector and brake controller. Usually the vehicles so equipped had HD Tow. I said usually because they can be installed aftermarket, but more likely than not it came out the factory like that.

I would go the other way on air suspension. It's an expensive failure point and isn't a substitute for proper weight distribution. For a 5k trailer weight distribution may not matter as much since you might not max out the hitch weight, but you'll need to watch out for air suspension failure.

sandbuster

Reaction score
Check for a 7 pin connector and brake controller. Usually the vehicles so equipped had HD Tow. I said usually because they can be installed aftermarket, but more likely than not it came out the factory like that.

I would go the other way on air suspension. It's an expensive failure point and isn't a substitute for proper weight distribution. For a 5k trailer weight distribution may not matter as much since you might not max out the hitch weight, but you'll need to watch out for air suspension failure.
I concur!

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score

DaddioR
Get a 2v 5.4 expedition just change the plug’s immediately and tighten them little more than usual much more reliable less maintenance than a 3v