First tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed for the first time with my 2016 EL. It was only a trailer with a Polaris Ranger onboard. I'm guessing about 2500 pounds. I watched the tranny temp the whole time. The ambient temp was 100+ the whole way. The tranny went from 197 to 225 depending on whether I was going uphill or downhill. I was in 5th and 6th gear most of the time with an occasional 4th. My mpg was about 10. Does this all sound reasonable? I was not impressed. I have been looking at trailers in the 5000 pound range, but I am worried about towing it now. I started in tow haul mode, but did not like how it was shifting, so I took it out of tow haul. What is considered too hot on the tranny?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it equipped? For example my 2007 Eddie Bauer EL has the HD towing package which has a bigger radiator and transmission cooler than the standard pack. The extra cooling is important in those temps.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is it equipped? For example my 2007 Eddie Bauer EL has the HD towing package which has a bigger radiator and transmission cooler than the standard pack. The extra cooling is important in those temps.

+1.

I'd be very concerned with 225F on the trans. A couple weeks ago I hauled about 8,000 lbs in 95F temps and never broke 200F on the trans. My Limited has the HD trans cooler though.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 with the super high highway gears and max tow packages has never seen tranny temps exceed 205 while pulling my 7000 lb boat from Houston to Table Rock in 100 degree August temps. Do you not have the max tow package??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur with the other comments. I tow 7k and never get over 203 pulling 7k. Mostly flat areas.

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do NOT have the HD towing package. I have been thinking about changiing the radiator and adding the tranny cooler, but I am now wondering if that will be enough. From the sounds of the comments, it sounds like I was not doing too good. My vehicle is supposed to be able to tow 6000 lbs, but I was not even close to that.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do NOT have the HD towing package. I have been thinking about changiing the radiator and adding the tranny cooler, but I am now wondering if that will be enough. From the sounds of the comments, it sounds like I was not doing too good. My vehicle is supposed to be able to tow 6000 lbs, but I was not even close to that.

HD Tow parts are OEM ford. Just a matter of getting all the pieces. Might even be able to get upgraded aftermarket components for less. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been checking prices at rockauto. They are not too bad. I have also watched some videos on youtube. (about radiator and tranny cooler replacement) The newest vehicle I could find there was a 2007. It didn't look like an easy task. If I end up tackling that job, I feel like those upgrades would be good whether I tow or not. If I do get a trailer, I will also have to add a brake controller and the 7 pin plug.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's too hot on the transmission temp for the load you were pulling. You should definitely install the aux. Transmission cooler, it is easy to install. My transmission has never gone over 212 and that's pulling 6200 pounds straight up a mountain at 45mph. I just drove from Boise to Seattle at with no load and cruise set at 80,transmission temp sat at 203 most of the drive, outside temp mid 90s. I have the HD tow package and 3.73 gears in my 17, pulls like a freight train.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's too hot on the transmission temp for the load you were pulling. You should definitely install the aux. Transmission cooler, it is easy to install. My transmission has never gone over 212 and that's pulling 6200 pounds straight up a mountain at 45mph. I just drove from Boise to Seattle at with no load and cruise set at 80,transmission temp sat at 203 most of the drive, outside temp mid 90s. I have the HD tow package and 3.73 gears in my 17, pulls like a freight train.

Oh how I wish I had 3.73 gears. I think I have like 3.15 or something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk