Five Star Tuned 2019 EcoBoost Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a few questions for others regarding a 2019 tuned expy.

I have a 2019 Platinum, tuned, with quite a few aftermarket parts that I did discuss with 5Star ahead of time, so supposedly the tunes took that into account. I'm not new to tuning, I've tuned many other vehicles quite successfully.

I have both 87 and 91 octane performance and daily driver/tow tunes from 5Star. 93 isn't available in my area. And on the daily driver/tow tunes I did actually ask them to re-enable the auto stop/start as I don't mind that, and I spend too much time at stop lights.

In the past, tunes have always added performance, but depending upon driving style, I've never had a major difference in fuel economy. So far though, with the 87 daily driving/tow tune, i'm seeing roughly a 10% mpg difference in town, and a 15-20% decline in highway mileage. Anyone seeing similar differences? My entire hope here though, is to maybe even drop down to 85 since that's more common here, and given the fact that our gas here starts at around $3.70/gal (paid $4.59/gal this weekend in the mountains) for 87. But again, drop down to say 85 but get similar performance to when I was using 87 or 91.

How about the eco tunes from 5Star. Anyone have any experience with those and what was the outcome? I personally don't like the way the expy drives when I put it in Eco mode, so I'm curious how the experience is with the eco tunes?

Also, one more thing I noticed. Took it on a 3.5hour (each way) drive, up and down several passes this last weekend. One behavior I've never seen before so I suspect the tune (but can't say for sure), was a weird turbo pressure and blowoff valve issue. While under super light acceleration uphill, essentially to keep speed rather than to gain speed, the boost gauge would go nuts, showing pressure gain, then immediate drop and you can hear this whistle, essentially from the blow off valves, over and over until I take my foot of the gas completely. Once I did that it was fine. This didn't happen every time, probably 3 or 4 times total. And of course you could feel the lost of power, sort of a light lurching feeling. Any one see anything like this? It hasn't happened in the 20k miles I've had this car.

I will say, the rears break loose far too easy now :)

Last edited:

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a few questions for others regarding a 2019 tuned expy.

I have a 2019 Platinum, tuned, with quite a few aftermarket parts that I did discuss with 5Star ahead of time, so supposedly the tunes took that into account. I'm not new to tuning, I've tuned many other vehicles quite successfully.

I have both 87 and 91 octane performance and daily driver/tow tunes from 5Star. 93 isn't available in my area. And on the daily driver/tow tunes I did actually ask them to re-enable the auto stop/start as I don't mind that, and I spend too much time at stop lights.

In the past, tunes have always added performance, but depending upon driving style, I've never had a major difference in fuel economy. So far though, with the 87 daily driving/tow tune, i'm seeing roughly a 10% mpg difference in town, and a 15-20% decline in highway mileage. Anyone seeing similar differences? My entire hope here though, is to maybe even drop down to 85 since that's more common here, and given the fact that our gas here starts at around $3.70/gal (paid $4.59/gal this weekend in the mountains) for 87. But again, drop down to say 85 but get similar performance to when I was using 87 or 91.

How about the eco tunes from 5Star. Anyone have any experience with those and what was the outcome? I personally don't like the way the expy drives when I put it in Eco mode, so I'm curious how the experience is with the eco tunes?

Also, one more thing I noticed. Took it on a 3.5hour (each way) drive, up and down several passes this last weekend. One behavior I've never seen before so I suspect the tune (but can't say for sure), was a weird turbo pressure and blowoff valve issue. While under super light acceleration uphill, essentially to keep speed rather than to gain speed, the boost gauge would go nuts, showing pressure gain, then immediate drop and you can hear this whistle, essentially from the blow off valves, over and over until I take my foot of the gas completely. Once I did that it was fine. This didn't happen every time, probably 3 or 4 times total. And of course you could feel the lost of power, sort of a light lurching feeling. Any one see anything like this? It hasn't happened in the 20k miles I've had this car.

I will say, the rears break loose far too easy now :)
I have had 5Star tunes (93 perf, 93/89/87 daily/street/tow) flashed via HP-tuners/RTD on mine for over a year now. I 90% of the time run the 93 perf. MPG AVG dropped a lot. Went from 17-18 to 14.5-15.5 MPG. When I go on a trip of more then a 2 hour each way drive I throw on the 93 daily and the stock tires. HWY MPG AVG goes to 22 and around the house to 16-17 MPG. Eco mode on this same tune makes cruise control slow at adding speed & the same for normal acceleration. No MPG added at all for me. I have never had my turbo PSI gauge do what you mentioned. With your new turbos, 5Star needs to work this out for you.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you are cruising on the highway, with the Performance tune, is it staying in 10th? Is it locking the TC? Still thinking they are overfueling it at low RPM's to help it spool. Also, the SCT has less control over some of the tables than HPT. So the same company using SCT vs HPT could have differences in the tune. Explaining @DWs-TTEB different experience vs @5280tunage even though the company is the same.

Just throwing ideas...

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you are cruising on the highway, with the Performance tune, is it staying in 10th? Is it locking the TC? Still thinking they are overfueling it at low RPM's to help it spool. Also, the SCT has less control over some of the tables than HPT. So the same company using SCT vs HPT could have differences in the tune. Explaining @DWs-TTEB different experience vs @5280tunage even though the company is the same.

Just throwing ideas...
Hey @LokiWolf long time no post! Glad to see you in here again! I know, bring Tapatalk BACK...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got in touch with 5Star today. They are working on a solution for what they called "turbo surge". Look forward to getting that taken care of, I'll report back when I get it applied and try things out.

black_limited

Reaction score
Got in touch with 5Star today. They are working on a solution for what they called "turbo surge". Look forward to getting that taken care of, I'll report back when I get it applied and try things out.
Yup that’s rather common actually.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Gents
Re: How about the eco tunes from 5Star. Anyone have any experience with those and what was the outcome? I personally don't like the way the expy drives when I put it in Eco mode, so I'm curious how the experience is with the eco tunes?

I ran the 5 Star 93 Perf. Tune in Eco mode for 2503 miles, Dallas to St Louis to MN in July for the family vacay. I Noticed in Eco mode, it will downshift a gear or 3 depending on grade, to maintain speed, but always kept the boost at very low levels, or no boost at all. The SCT display usually showed a vacuum between 9 to 17 while cruising, depending on grade & speed.
Same Tune, In Std. mode, similar highways + 75 mph, it will hold the gear, or drop down to 9, and add boost to maintain speed.
Same Tune in Sport mode will downshift and add boost to very quickly maintain speed.
Over this vacation, averaged 20.6 mpg for the 2503 miles. I am happy with that, considering 2 adults + 2 teens + luggage for 9 days & the speeds involved + lots of stopping for pictures, etc.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Gents
Re: How about the eco tunes from 5Star. Anyone have any experience with those and what was the outcome? I personally don't like the way the expy drives when I put it in Eco mode, so I'm curious how the experience is with the eco tunes?

I ran the 5 Star 93 Perf. Tune in Eco mode for 2503 miles, Dallas to St Louis to MN in July for the family vacay. I Noticed in Eco mode, it will downshift a gear or 3 depending on grade, to maintain speed, but always kept the boost at very low levels, or no boost at all. The SCT display usually showed a vacuum between 9 to 17 while cruising, depending on grade & speed.
Same Tune, In Std. mode, similar highways + 75 mph, it will hold the gear, or drop down to 9, and add boost to maintain speed.
Same Tune in Sport mode will downshift and add boost to very quickly maintain speed.
Over this vacation, averaged 20.6 mpg for the 2503 miles. I am happy with that, considering 2 adults + 2 teens + luggage for 9 days & the speeds involved + lots of stopping for pictures, etc.
The eco tunes will keep you in vacuum longer before you'll see any boost added. I have not seen any noticeable gains in MPG from them. Take this with a small grain of salt as this is my experience with a 2015+ F150 and their economy tunes. I ended up daily driving their adaptive octane tune as I frequently switched between 87, 88, and 91 octane fuels with the addition of an octane booster from time to time.