Ford 6R80 6 Speed Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

Xlstreetglide

Reaction score
Great write up!! I was able to do my own transmission fluid/filter change this morning. Saved at least a couple hundred bucks by not taking it to the dealer. Thanks Makuloco2000

robertcope

Reaction score
Great video. The factory suggests 150K intervals for replacement under normal service. Do you recommend something different?

robert

OP
OP
M

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great video. The factory suggests 150K intervals for replacement under normal service. Do you recommend something different?

robert

I recommend 60k fluid and filter changes. The solenoids on this trans are very sensitive to any kind of fluid contamination.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So exactly how many quarts of Mercon LV go in after a filter change? Your video says 4 and a half, but there is a note on the screen that says 2 more. So how many quarts should I buy?

Last edited:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
makuloco, my 2007 ford expy said its mercon sp, but when i went to the dealer one mechanic urging me to use lv in substitute for the sp, honestly i dont want to listen to him oppose to what it says on my specs, but is LV substitute to an SP?

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the job today. it took me almost 7 quarts of LV to get to into the lower end of the crosshatch. And I had it running 15 minutes while I was pumping the fluid in. I want to see what the level looks like after I get it really warmed up driving.
I didn't have to use any cleaner on the pan because it was super clean inside. No shavings on the magnet. All I did was
wipe it out with a microfiber cloth. I had to do all this in order to change out the leaking electrical connector.

Last edited:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May i know whats your manual said what kind of oil tocapet?
Thanks