Ford Expedition reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

An Expedition owner on my panel is eager to get started, so I said I'd do more to find owners to participate. I start collecting data when I have 25 signed up for a model/model year.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see you have a fuel economy page. CAI would affect this, right? Do vehicles have to be stock? Also, would we have to tell you if we have been to shops before the study begins?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I never saw the message notification for this.

I don't ask about CAI. I cannot imagine it would affect MPG more than a few tenths, though I'm willing to be proven wrong.

The problem with asking more questions than I already do is that the more questions there are, the less likely people are to participate.

I should say something about not providing fuel economy info if a vehicle is heavily modded, but CAI wouldn't count as a major mod.

Update: done. Thanks for helping me realize I need to add this.

On the repairs, the main survey only collects repair info going forward. If a repair happened more than a month before the first survey is received, it doesn't get reported on this survey. This is to minimize the possibility of bias.

For those who want to report repair histories, there's a second survey on the site that collects them. The results of this survey are posted as-is to the site.

Only the main reliability survey has a minimum sample size, which the Expedition hasn't reached. The other two do not, so Expedition owners could participate in them today.

Last edited:

2002EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by mkaresh

The problem with asking more questions than I already do is that the more questions there are, the less likely people are to participate.

Agreed. Time is not free.

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2002EB
Agreed. Time is not free.

Which is also why I don't send the survey emails until enough people are signed up. Still trying to get there for the Expedition.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

OP
OP
M

mkaresh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Latest results for about 65 other models, including the large GM SUVs, in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to include the Expedition.