Ford to Eliminate Parallel Parking Assist options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Say goodbye to the driver-assist parallel parking feature.

"Very, very few people are using it. So we can remove that feature. It's about $60 per vehicle,another $10 million per year (in savings)," Kumar Ghalhotra, Ford chief operating officer, said Tuesday in an effort to illustrate how Ford is making little changes for big savings.
I am not interested in any of the computer aided driving assistants, I prefer to steer and brake my vehicles myself. However I would suggest that the real reason for removing this feature is the numerous complaints and probably lawsuits when it does not perform as stated, causing damage to vehicles.

Gmas15

Reaction score
The technology has been around for a over a decade.

I tried it on several vehicles. With the Expedition, I never trusted it. The two times I tried using the feature I had to intervene to prevent contact with another vehicle.

That said, great idea for people that can't park but the implementation needs to be a lot more simple and reliable.
Honestly, I use it all the time on my 19, I think it’s well-implemented and works pretty well. I get it a stretch for some folks And it’s not necessary, but I see it as a neat feature that I paid for, why not use it? To techdude99, you do need to intervene when the system alerts you to stop and shift to D or R depending on whether or not the vehicle will hit another car. You do have to intervene in that sense - it only controls the steering wheel, not throttle or brake. E.g. if you start backing in to a spot, but need to pull forward to straigten out, then reverse back in, the system handles all of that and will alert you that it’s getting close to something and to shift to D, then will control the steering wheel while pulling forward, then will alert you to stop and shift to R, then will continue to control the steering wheel while backing in. It’s not perfect - but I think it works pretty Well for what it is. Seems like I’m one of the “very, very few“ people using it :) We’re note replacing ours anytime soon, but I like the feature and I will cross-shop other mfrs if we do. Got to question what’s going on at ford if they say this saves 10 million/yr? They had 176 Billion in revenue last year… what else are they cutting corners on? :) Isn’t that the story of our expys - continuous decontenting?

Danm355

Reaction score
Say goodbye to the driver-assist parallel parking feature.

"Very, very few people are using it. So we can remove that feature. It's about $60 per vehicle,another $10 million per year (in savings)," Kumar Ghalhotra, Ford chief operating officer, said Tuesday in an effort to illustrate how Ford is making little changes for big savings.
I used the parallel parking assist a lot, especially if your in the city where it's mostly parallel parking. I was disappointed when they eliminated it from my 2022 Expedition because the parts were not available.

Danm355

Reaction score
I am not interested in any of the computer aided driving assistants, I prefer to steer and brake my vehicles myself. However I would suggest that the real reason for removing this feature is the numerous complaints and probably lawsuits when it does not perform as stated, causing damage to vehicles.
It really worked great.

JoeyNavigator

Reaction score
Will Parallel Parking Assist continue to function on existing vehicles with Active Park Assist?

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
Not that I use "all" the features on our Platinum either. Can't remember when I last used parallel park since I bought it but doesn't matter. It's the fundamental of it. Same as the lock/unlock door handles, electric middle seat release, massaging seats, different interior color light options, and now park assist. Sure, these are all essentially meaningless things but because of these "cost savings," and chip shortage deleting, my I can say my 2018 Max Platinum is "better" than 2019 and newer expeditions. Now what's wrong with that statement? Are new things not supposed to improve or what?

Last edited:

JoeyNavigator

Reaction score
Hoping FORD/Lincoln...does it's homework before they drop an option based on low usage.

Many reasons could explain little use...such as maybe the implementation is poor and not deemed worthwhile as it is, but would be used much more often if improved.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get rid of parking assist, cruise control, hands free driving, power deployed running boards, lane keeping assist, active braking, HUD, and that giant dtouchscreen Ipad thing and make an available V8 expy so we can get rid of the rattling turbos

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani