freon leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whjunkin

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer with front and rear a/c. In the rear i hear a noise coming from box. It sounds like a pissssssing noise. I opened it all up and no leaks. I have put 10oz of dye freon in it and 12oz of regular freon in it. I have a leak but cant find it anywhere. I have a pair of yellow glasses already and a uv i use for work already. I have searched all over truck but can not find a leak anywhere in the system. 2 yrs ago my dad the previous owner put a compressor and some other parts on it cause they went out. Dont remember what those other components were right this minute. Does anyone have any suggestions to a common place these things tend to leak at? Please help going out of town next weekend plan on taking truck. Only other option is take it to a shop and hope i dont get hosed. Thanks Will

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not all of the system is accessible to the eye. If you are not seeing the dye easily the next step would be a sniffer. Most leaks should occur in the hoses, seals, condenser or compressor. Worst case is the front evap.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you can hear the leak there is a chance that it is leaking too fast to see it, I would try putting a vacuum on the system if you can then the hissing should sustain itself long enough to find it. behind the left rear trim piece you will find the second evaporator, the expansion valve and another fitting that could be leaking. if those are not leaking but you are positive its from the back then your looking at a line with a hole in it so look for parts that are making contact with another. you would be surprised how quick a hole can be rubbed in something from vibration.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
what's the system completely empty? 22 ounces of freon is not enough in the system.if I'm not mistaken it takes 56 ounces to have a full system there should be a tag underneath the hood.if you're hearing a hissing in the back it could be the expansion valve

OP
OP
W

whjunkin

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I drove the truck around yesterday after i made the post and when i got home i searched all over to see if wind blow and freon dye around. Wouldn't you know it, its the compressor. Leaking out from seal. Compressor was replaced 2 yrs ago and was a reman. I have a shop that says they will do the repairs since i am on a time crunch with work i cant do it. They say they will replace compressor (new), accumulator, and evaporator for $700. Vac and recharge system. Seems high but not sure. Is this bout right?

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$700 is probably on par with most places I would say, you are looking at

$100 in refrigerant cost
$300 for the compressor cost with markup
$300 in labor / disposal fee's

this is why I do all my own A/C work.. the shop down the street want $120 just to recharge my system, I can do it for free at work. and a simple recharge takes virtually ZERO labor as its on a machine that pretty much does it all for you..

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I drove the truck around yesterday after i made the post and when i got home i searched all over to see if wind blow and freon dye around. Wouldn't you know it, its the compressor. Leaking out from seal. Compressor was replaced 2 yrs ago and was a reman. I have a shop that says they will do the repairs since i am on a time crunch with work i cant do it. They say they will replace compressor (new), accumulator, and evaporator for $700. Vac and recharge system. Seems high but not sure. Is this bout right?

Why does it need an evaporator?

OP
OP
W

whjunkin

Reaction score
My bad. They are going to do the compressor, accumulator, and dryer. I do 90% of the repairs need on all 4 of my cars. 2 things i dont do is a/c work an front end alignments (only cause i dont have a rack in the back yard) . I really dont know enough about a/c systems enough and never really had anyone teach it to me. 95% of what i know is by getting in there and doing it or was taught by boss. I dropped truck off at shop tonight we will see what they say tomorrow. I trust the shop. Lots of ppl around have said they are very good and reasonably priced.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the A/C system is actually very simple, it only has 7-9 parts in total. the main issue with A/C is without a special A/C vacuum/charger tool you will never get repairs done correctly, and those A/C carts are very expensive...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik