Front AC hot, rear cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retk9

Reaction score
Puzzling issue with an 04 Exp with manual AC. Front AC suddenly started blowing hot air. Rear AC still blows cold. Replaced front blend door actuator but no change. Gage on AC recharge bottle showed level was low so I added a can. Front AC still blowing hot. Noticed ice build up on low side line but only from the front of the truck until the low side port. No ice from low side port towards the firewall. Any advice before a shop wants to charge me more than the truck is worth?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like your front AC expansion valve is blocked. The expansion valve can also come apart inside, where the shaft detaches from the valve itself. Either way, you have to discharge the system and swap out the expansion valve for a new one and vacuum and recharge the system. Use new O-rings on the lines when you do the work.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...t+&+air+conditioning,a/c+expansion+valve,6788

39004__ra_p.jpg

TomB985

Reaction score
Yep, I think hamfisted is on the right track. The only way the low-side line from the firewall would be warm inthat situation is if your expansion valve is plugged. Not an expensive fix if you do it yourself, but recommend having a shop evacuate your refrigerant if they are willing.

OP
OP
R

retk9

Reaction score
Expansion valve does make sense. Although I replaced that 2 years ago but that doesn't mean it can't be blocked or broke. Still have to pay for evac and recharge but it that is all it is, not too bad.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree, I had the reverse problem. Front worked but aux expansion valve was bad. If one of them is working, you know the compressor is working and the high/low pressure cut-off is not the problem. You will have to open up the system and recharge. If you have a vacuum pump and manifold it is not that bad.