front driveshaft u-joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
I have had an intermittent squeaking sound coming from the front of my 2012 Expedition Limited 4WD for several months. It only occurs with the car in motion, and is speed-dependent (squeaks faster the faster the car goes), not engine rpm-dependent. It occurs at low speed (<25mph), and disappears as the car goes beyond that (perhaps due to it being drowned out by ambient noise). I had the front left wheel hub replaced thinking it was bad bearings, but that didn't fix the problem at all.

I jacked up the car and checked the driveshafts for play. The rear driveshaft seems to have no play whatsoever (rotational or side to side). The front driveshaft, seems to have some rotational play, but no side to side play. How much rotational play, if any, is normal on this front driveshaft? I've included a picture to show the driveshaft that i'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_20181103_130606.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try spraying down any rubber that is a support for moving axles. I like silicone spray. You more than likely will have to rack, or put on stands, and run in four wheel mode. Sounds like dry rubber, or something's metal on metal, with rubber gone or worn.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
If there is rubber gone inside of that housing, what parts would need to be replaced (I assume that would be more than just the u-joint itself)? Trying to get a handle on repair costs.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But, but, the front driveshaft doesn't spin unless you are in 4x4......

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front driveshaft definitely turns in 2wd. My wife's 03 front driveshaft shaft u joint broke and made a mess of things underneath the truck. We were feeling a vibration like bad wheel balance for a little while with a slight rattle at lower speeds. After it snowed last year, she ran it in 4wd and the added stress while downshifting up a hill finally snapped the rear u joint and part of the driveshaft right off. It broke the transfer case vent barb, the mlps, the shifter cable, heat shield and bent in the fuel line and the transmission shift lever a little bit. I ripped out the heat shield but ended up replacing everything but the fuel line. Wasn't a horrible job but definitely something I remember to keep in good condition on both of the Expeditions from now on. Could have been a lot worse.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a 4 wheel drive expert but don't front axles turn and rotate? Our friend needs to rack or put on sturdy jack stands, and run it, and listen. Theirs so many components that could be causing his noise/squeak. We're just spitballing here as to what item needs to be replaced, unless someone has had the exaust symptoms, and part failed.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk