Front end annoying clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potatoes

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my Expedition. I haven't been able to find the cause of the problem...it's awfully annoying.

BigG~

Reaction score
grrrr....spoke too soon. We went out of town this weekend and after about 30 mins down the road, there we go again. Stabilizer links was definately Not the cure. Still very obvious that is it coming from the driver front side, but I have replaced or inspected every single joint that moves and ever bolt or nut on that side of the front end. Including the door hinges, chassis mounts and running board mounts....not a clue here.

I hadda' replace mine a few times, till I found a set from ENERGY SUSPENSION and never hadda' problem since.!! Ck them out...?
I can get you a part number if it would help, there built a hell of a lot tuffer than MOOGS or whatever pep boys is selling these days.. :patriot: G~

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
grrrr....spoke too soon. We went out of town this weekend and after about 30 mins down the road, there we go again. Stabilizer links was definately Not the cure. Still very obvious that is it coming from the driver front side, but I have replaced or inspected every single joint that moves and ever bolt or nut on that side of the front end. Including the door hinges, chassis mounts and running board mounts....not a clue here.

My folks have an 04 with the same issue. I completely rebuilt the front suspension last summer in that truck and it still clunks. I know your frustration, but unfortunately I have no answers...

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmission cross member bolts loose? (2 bolts under driver and passenger side). Replace with Grade8 13x1/2 bolts..
:head3:

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you positive it is suspension related? Could it be a exhaust hanger or heat shield that is loose? Sounds like you replaced everything else.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Ive checked and or attempted to tighten every posssible bolt found from the transmission forward. Not to include all of the new suspension stuff. Very obvious coming from front driver side, just cannot pin point it. About to say the heck with it, and just let it go till something for sure shows a cause. Nothing of any safety related item is not new, so not worried about any sort of dangerous failure. Just damn annoying.

deep sounding clunk, very similar to what a bad ball joint, control arm or similar might make if it were going. Definately not a lighter tinny type of sound like exhaust or metal shielding might make.

BigG~

Reaction score
Frt end clunk..?

P/U a set of Energy Suspension #9.8119 End Links and tighten them down good n' tight... If they have play in them you will still getta clunk, especialy hard turning.................. I replaced mine with these after losing a couple pair and my truck now handles like my Vette and haven't lost one in the past 2 years... And I gotta' lotta stress on mine as I got a lift a bigger tires on mine. There thicker and the bushings are by far better than anything else you can get..!! Try it, ya' won't regret it..:signs6: G~

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive checked and or attempted to tighten every posssible bolt found from the transmission forward. Not to include all of the new suspension stuff. Very obvious coming from front driver side, just cannot pin point it. About to say the heck with it, and just let it go till something for sure shows a cause. Nothing of any safety related item is not new, so not worried about any sort of dangerous failure. Just damn annoying.

deep sounding clunk, very similar to what a bad ball joint, control arm or similar might make if it were going. Definately not a lighter tinny type of sound like exhaust or metal shielding might make.

When all else fails..
J S JS97202 Wireless Chassis Ear - Join the Pricefalls family - Pricefalls.com Online Marketplace & Stores

Get a chassis ear to help identify where the noise is while driving..
:head3:

MacMarkkus

Reaction score
Newbie to forum here - dont know if this is quite same problem, but do you notice it more so when slowing down?? I have a knocking style noise when i am coming to a halt, but again its the front drivers side wheel area. Probably going to bite the bullet and leave into ford as i have a little guy who i dont want to be in a risky car. Will post outcome here when she comes back all fiksed

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Most commonly noticed when going over uneven terrain, regardless of dirt,gravel, or pavement. Have not noticed during the braking or slowing process UNLESS it is also on the uneven terrain.

So obvious sometimes, it makes one wonder if some part of the front end is about to fall out or off.