Front end suspension noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
01 XLT 4wd 5.4 with 113k. Every little bump or dip in the road the front end makes bad squeaking noises. When stationary and turning the wheel it does the same thing. Sounds like its basically worn out as in bushings and shocks possibly? Something in the steering?
I plan on replacing the shocks soon, if that doesnt fix it bushing/upper control arms next...but that is pricey.
Thoughts?

IL67BP

Reaction score
Ball joints. Rreplace them asap before they break. If you have time you can rent the tools and do it yourself. If you don't its going to cost some good money. I'd change all 4 now rather than just 2.

WSS1

Reaction score
Here is a thread that helped me tackle it. watch the vid in post 9

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=11046&highlight=camber+kit

I did the upper complete instead of just changing the BJ, the upper was 90 bucks I think. I also put in the camber kit while I had the upper out. Orielleys will rent the tool for 150 bucks and give you your money back when you return it. Somewhere here, I saw a guy using his floorjack and a tube to install them. I did the same but used a deep 1-1/2" socket to push it in (and a 4lb hammer to tap around the control arm).

WSS1

IL67BP

Reaction score
Unless you have aftermarket upper control arms you will not be able to change just the ball joints. I would recommend buying new ones that come with removeable ones, though.

OP
OP
fiveohpoepoe

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, that is kind of what I was NOT wanting to hear, but kind of expected some not so good news.

Hornblaster29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had to do mine a mouth a go cuz have they were bad got all the parts off ebay for 150 ship an it only took 3 hours to do both sides it ant to hard just got to get the tool to remove the lower ball joint