Front wheels will not freely spin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglasf1378

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition EL XLT 4x4 with 90K miles on it.

This last Friday, I was at a tire shop and had the vehicle on a lift to have a tire plugged.

I gave the front driver side tire a spin, or tried to. If I applied some moderate force, I could barely get the tire to rotate in one complete cycle. Passenger side, the same issue. The switch on the dash was in 2 wheel drive, not in any 4x4 mode.

I have had three F150s, (all 4x4s), and I recall being able to get the front tires to freely spin with little effort when the transfer box was in 2 wheel drive and the front tires were lifted with a ******** the ground.

I recently installed the PowerStop disk and caliper set so I thought maybe the calipers were grabbing. I wanted to replace all of the brake hoses & flush the brake fluid so this afternoon I did a little experiment.

I disconnected the brake lines to the front wheels, removed the calipers off the front and set them aside. Put the tires back on and gave them a spin, or tried to. It was basically the same, maybe very slight less drag with no calipers installed, but it takes some moderate force to get either tire to rotate fully.

What is up with my truck? Does the front differential have an issue or is the transfer box slightly stuck in 4 wheel drive?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.