Front windshield tinting ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Summer is approaching and I want to protect the interior of my 2006 Expedition against UV possible damages to the dashboard and the leather seats, as well as reducing inside temperatures.

I am planning to have the front windshield tinted by the dealer (they offered me free tinting when I bought the car, but I decided to delay it for a while and they agreed).

I called them and they said they will use 3M transparent films to protect the interior and the dashboard against UV and to help reduce temperatures inside the car.

I like the idea of transparent films since darker ones may cause visibility problems and may violate traffic laws.

Questions I have:
1. I have read that the front windshield is(?) "solar tinted" and I observes those black "dots" on the interior of the windshield. Would these dots (and their function) get affected by any means? If I decide to remove the film, would these dots get damaged? ... BTW: what does these "dots" do?:confused:

2. Did anyone do something similar? Would there be any improvement towards the high temps, protection of leather seats or the dashboard?

3. Is the 3M reliable or should I use a ask for a different brand?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Regards
Ziad

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3m is a great brand. do you mean like the top 6 inches of the front windshield or the whole thing. it sounds like you are using a clear tint i dont think i would do it. reason being the front windshield gets alot of abuse fron the sun and it might bake the tint and then it would be a mess. what i would do is find out the local and state law on tint the front window and do that i want to say in ohio it is 6-8 inchs fron the top of the windsheild. also are you tinting the side window or the rest of the truck. if so i wouldnt go much darker then 20%. on my turck i am getting ready to have mine tinted and i am having the whole truck tinted 20% then for my expedition they make a wiper gaurd and i am going to get one of those put on the bottom that is another route you could look at to protect your dashboard

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
When I purchased the truck, the dealer tinted all the windows @ 30% and left the front windshield decision to me.

The plan is to tint the whole of the front windshield.

What I understand is that these transparent films wouldn't get affected by the sun because they are made specifically for that purpose.

Did anyone face a problem with those films for tinting the whole of the fron windshield?

Hope I get an answer coz I still have 3 more days before confirming this to the dealer.

Regards

dubedition2003

Reaction score
In the summer time here in MA. I never had a problem with the heat inside the truck, it stays cool all day even in the hot summer sunny days.

I don't think you would need to get your winsheild tinted if you are trying to keep the inside cabin cool. But then again the highest temp. in MASS. is probably in the high 90s and every so often above 100 degrees F.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
like i said i dont know where you are from but in all 50 states it is illegal to tint the whole front window you will get pulled over and fined and they will make you take it off on the side of the road

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They wont make you take it off on the side of the road. Usually what they will do is give you a 24 hr "ticket" to where you have one day and then you have to drive the truck to the station and an officer will come out and look at the vehicle. The only way (IMHO) you will get messed with having the front windshield tinited would be if the tint was 20% or darker. I used to have 5% all the way around and never had a problem at all even with cops sitting next to me at stoplights.

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Well ... I live in Abu Dhabi, the capital of United Arab Emirates. Over here we are allowed 30% tinting. Not sure about the front windshield tinting %.

What I am talking about is a CLEAR tinting for the whole front windshield. So, it will not affect visibility, but it will reflect most of the UV and hence help protect the dash and the interior parts.

The weather here is harsh in summer and temps may reach 50 degrees (that's 122 F) and the interior tends to be "boiling" given that shaded parking spots are a luxury over here :rolleyes:.

So, no worries about police, but my worry is about the experience itself. Would the tinting film spoil the front windshield (because it may get cooked?) or is it a safe and normal experience?

In the Toyota I owned, I did the 30% tinting on the whole car except the front windshield and the dash color faded and turned darker. I do not want to have the same effect on my Expy.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's just for when you park, you could get one of those reflective foam things that you put up on your windshield when you are parked. It really keeps things cool in the hot sun, since it reflects all the energy from the sun (both UV and IR waves).

But you could go ahead and get the clear stuff, especially if it's "free." I'm sure it could cut down on some glare when you drive.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i would think it might turn yellow with the angle of the
windsheald and the costent pounding of the sun
if they can garrentee the can remove it ? then go for it

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ziad_yamin

Questions I have:
1. I have read that the front windshield is(?) "solar tinted" and I observes those black "dots" on the interior of the windshield. Would these dots (and their function) get affected by any means? If I decide to remove the film, would these dots get damaged? ... BTW: what does these "dots" do?:confused:

2. Did anyone do something similar? Would there be any improvement towards the high temps, protection of leather seats or the dashboard?

3. Is the 3M reliable or should I use a ask for a different brand?

1. Those black dots are just there to reduce glare, sort of acting like additional tint. They shouldn't get damaged by a professional installer using name-brand tint like 3M...you can tint over them.

2. I'm not aware of any solar-reducing 3M clear tint...its not listed on their site. The minimum tint I see is 50%.

I'd imagine that, if it is available, a UV-reducing clear tint would provide added protection.

3. 3M is very good.

You may want to look into leather-care products to keep it looking good. And a sunshade is a great idea - nothing blocks the sun's harmful rays than a shade that doesn't let light penetrate it.

A car cover may be a good idea, but not if it gets windy...never cover a dirty car. Covers for large SUVs aren't cheap, though. I paid $350, wholesale, for a Covercraft Weathershield about 7 years ago. Retail was around $600.