Fuel Injection/Emission Problem on 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Rustang

Reaction score
Is this a warranty issue? Here goes: My wife’s 2017 Expy just threw on the check engine light. Scanned it and found p0172 and P0175, rich in both banks. After several hours of diagnosing, internet searching, and scratching my head, I know what is not wrong with it, but I don’t know what is wrong with it. Then a buddy said, isn’t it under warranty? I bought this used and the bumper to bumper is expired, would this be considered a drivetrain problem and covered? Sure hope so, I would like this to be someone else’s problem at this point.

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
I think it actually smells a bit rich... Idling and driving with the scanner hooked up the LT O2 sensors are way out of range negative.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it actually smells a bit rich... Idling and driving with the scanner hooked up the LT O2 sensors are way out of range negative.
Check your intake temp sensor? I would start there. You can get the correct numbers off the internet but check the reference wire to make sure it's fluctuating. What does the oil temp read on the panel?
Check my earlier posts for more details on a similar issue I had. Would love to track your progress, so keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Coolant warmed to 190’s while driving. Didn’t check the oil temp. If what i saw an thought was an intake temp, it seemed low, but it was cool outside this evening. But was hoping to just make this Ford’s problem—opinion on this being covered?

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coolant warmed to 190’s while driving. Didn’t check the oil temp. If what i saw an thought was an intake temp, it seemed low, but it was cool outside this evening. But was hoping to just make this Ford’s problem—opinion on this being covered?
I highly doubt Ford will step up to the plate on this one.

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Aaaand, you would be correct. The Ford dealer said the Purge valve is the problem, despite being a fuel vapor recovery/emissions part not covered, and they wanted $485 to replace it. I laughed at them and asked for my truck back. I bought one on Rock Auto, it will take 15 minutes or less to install. The drive cycle to reset the system will take three times longer than installing the part and wouldn’t be included in the dealer’s repair process or price. Also the Ford dealer said that they wouldn’t guarantee that would fix it, it could cost more. Reason #2 I asked for my truck back—if you won’t diagnose it and just want to throw parts at it, I can do that at home just the same but cheaper.

So we wait for the RockAuto part. In the meantime, we have a fleet of cars to drive and only 2 licensed drivers. So the Expy can sit for a few days.

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pollution control systems have a longer warranty period 5/50K if I recall correctly. If you have warranty, drop it on the dealers lap.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aaaand, you would be correct. The Ford dealer said the Purge valve is the problem, despite being a fuel vapor recovery/emissions part not covered, and they wanted $485 to replace it. I laughed at them and asked for my truck back. I bought one on Rock Auto, it will take 15 minutes or less to install. The drive cycle to reset the system will take three times longer than installing the part and wouldn’t be included in the dealer’s repair process or price. Also the Ford dealer said that they wouldn’t guarantee that would fix it, it could cost more. Reason #2 I asked for my truck back—if you won’t diagnose it and just want to throw parts at it, I can do that at home just the same but cheaper.

So we wait for the RockAuto part. In the meantime, we have a fleet of cars to drive and only 2 licensed drivers. So the Expy can sit for a few days.
To be clear for future readers - was the culprit the PCV solenoid? If so, which part number did you have and which one did you replace it with? If I remember correctly they are up to the third iteration of this part for your year with the original part being black and the most recent versions being red.58373d93103477f2d8ded0756a634147.jpgf0b4a50416296b51d0c48228684e94ff.jpg

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
While I am waiting for the part from Rock Auto, the part in question is the Purge Valve, not the PCV valve. The Purge valve is indeed on its third revision with a final digit of C in the part number. Ford PN: BL3Z9B325C For JamaicaJoe, I tried dropping it on the dealer and they said it was not covered. Given it is essentially a pollution control device I can’t see how it wouldn’t be part of the emissions warranty. The dealer suggested I reach out to Ford and seek assistance/recovery on this because of the low vehicle mileage (21K). Whatever, I am done fighting with Ford—they are as-h-les based on the lemon law fight I had with them a few years back, not going to get myself worked up over a $80 part I can put on in a few minutes.

Last edited: