Fuel Injection/Emission Problem on 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I am waiting for the part from Rock Auto, the part in question is the Purge Valve, not the PCV valve. The Purge valve is indeed on its third revision with a final digit of C in the part number. Ford PN: BL3Z9B325C For JamaicaJoe, I tried dropping it on the dealer and they said it was not covered. Given it is essentially a pollution control device I can’t see how it wouldn’t be part of the emissions warranty. Whatever, I am done fighting with Ford—they are as-h-les based on the lemon law fight I had with them a few years back, not going to get myself worked up over a $90 part I can put on in a few minutes.
Good deal, thanks for clarifying. I've been assuming you have the ecoboost - which one? Also, how many miles?
Good info for those encountering your issue in the future.
Do post back when you get the part in and have results.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a 3.5L with 21,000 miles.
21,000?? How did you manage to find that gem!? I can see myself trying to get the dealer involved with that kind of mileage. Too bad they wouldn't work with you.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it actually smells a bit rich... Idling and driving with the scanner hooked up the LT O2 sensors are way out of range negative.
Did the dealer confirm a bad purge valve would cause your O2 sensor readings to bottom out?

gkretro

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Ford. My '17 gave me a code, don't remember the exact one, which indicated a PCV issue. I took it to Ford since I still had the bumper to bumper and emissions warranties. They warned me that warranty coverage was based on part number to identify if it was covered or not. They replaced one part, wanted to charge me, I asked them to check since the part was clearly emissions related. The service person checked and said it WAS covered, they had typed in the wrong part number the first time. I didn't argue with them but this was clearly bogus, mistyping a part number would have most likely bounced it back as an invalid number. I'll never go this dealer again needless to say. And during covid they've been calling, texting, and emailing me to remind me I am due for service.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be clear for future readers - was the culprit the PCV solenoid? If so, which part number did you have and which one did you replace it with? If I remember correctly they are up to the third iteration of this part for your year with the original part being black and the most recent versions being red.58373d93103477f2d8ded0756a634147.jpgf0b4a50416296b51d0c48228684e94ff.jpg

How difficult to remove the PCV valve?

Does it pull out, or twist out? Is it one the left (driver) side of the valve cover?

Thank you.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How difficult to remove the PCV valve?

Does it pull out, or twist out? Is it one the left (driver) side of the valve cover?

Thank you.
After you disconnect the vacuum line, just twist and pull straight out. It's the one on the passenger side.
I knew mine was bad because it didn't stay closed during idle - the bearing would just bounce which sounded like shaking a spray can.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
If you want to get a reaction from that Ford dealer just blast them on the survey they send you. Watch what happens.

Hehehe.

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Did the dealer confirm a bad purge valve would cause your O2 sensor readings to bottom out?

That’s what hacked me off about the dealer—they said the purge was bad, but there could be other problems too. I had already tested the purge and thought it was good. I questioned the diagnostic and they said anything additional was additional whether the purge valve fixed it or not. I decided to do my own parts changing if that is how they operate. With 21K miles, how likely is it there are multiple failures in the system occurring simultaneously? Nil in my opinion, but if there is something else, the PCV is just as easily accessed and replaced if needed. But if it is not the purge valve, I think fuel pressure would be the next suspect—injection pressure sensor.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s what hacked me off about the dealer—they said the purge was bad, but there could be other problems too. I had already tested the purge and thought it was good. I questioned the diagnostic and they said anything additional was additional whether the purge valve fixed it or not. I decided to do my own parts changing if that is how they operate. With 21K miles, how likely is it there are multiple failures in the system occurring simultaneously? Nil in my opinion, but if there is something else, the PCV is just as easily accessed and replaced if needed. But if it is not the purge valve, I think fuel pressure would be the next suspect—injection pressure sensor.

I did a similar little dance with them when my truck was under the extended warranty - more than once. Hey my engine is squealing and I think it's an idler pulley. Well, that's covered, but if it turns out to be an uncovered part then you're on the hook for the uncovered part AND 1-3 hours of diagnostics at $135/hour. OK, give me my truck back and I'll be in touch after I diagnose the problem for certain myself.