Fuel Mileage in ye old toilet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the Fuel economy in my 08 EB 4x4 has recently took a major hit, like I'm talking over a mile per gallon less on the last couple of fill-ups. I know we have been doing more idling than normal, what with the recent cold snap and all, but still, this doesn't seem right...

Is winter fuel really that bad? Would it cause this?

What else could/should I look at? Fuel Filter? Do I have one external of the tank?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
So the Fuel economy in my 08 EB 4x4 has recently took a major hit, like I'm talking over a mile per gallon less on the last couple of fill-ups. I know we have been doing more idling than normal, what with the recent cold snap and all, but still, this doesn't seem right...

What else could/should I look at? Fuel Filter? Do I have one external of the tank?
Check your MAF sensor. If it’s got buildup of gunk on it, it may throw off the MPG reading. I’m having a MPG issue with my 16 ecoboost and I’ve been advised to take them out and clean them. I recently installed a K&N intake system and my MPG have taken a 3-4 mpg hit

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not just winter gas, colder air is much more dense, which means there’s more of it to move out of the way. On small cars this isn’t a huge deal but on an Expedition with its big front profile it makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I know on the fuel. Was just not thinking it would make that much difference...

Good point about the denser air...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is pretty common and I experienced that on my 05 and on my 17. It's nothing to worry about, it will get better in the spring.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks.

Just installed an AEM dryflow performance air filter and sprayed out my maf sensor with CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. Guess we'll see if mileage ticks back up.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1 whole mpg?

I've tracked every fill up in the 44k miles I've owned mine and I see variations of more than 1 mpg from tank to tank all year round.

Personally, I'd say 1 mpg is within the noise.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
1 whole mpg?

I've tracked every fill up in the 44k miles I've owned mine and I see variations of more than 1 mpg from tank to tank all year round.

Personally, I'd say 1 mpg is within the noise.
What would you expect the culprit to be for my 3-4mpg loss after intake installed?