Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody know if anybody makes a increased capacity fuel tank for the expedition I know they make them for some of the pickup trucks but I was wondering if maybe somebody had stepped up and started making one for these.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you crawl around under the vehicle, the existing fuel tank takes up most of the space between the transmission and the rear suspension on the driver's side of the drive shaft. The exhaust/muffler runs down the passenger's side of the drive shaft. Short of removing the spare tire and adding an aux tank, there isn't much other real estate to have a larger fuel tank. I recall that the 200 series Land Cruisers have an aux fuel tank available to mount where the spare tire goes if you move the spare to a rear bumper mounted location. Maybe someone will do something similar on the Expy.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We’ll its decades err 100’s of miles better than my old 11mpg Land Cruiser regarding range. Did 12 days Yellowstone and 12 days Zion-Moab-North Rim in my 06 Sequoia that was 15mpg with 21gal tank. No issues never came close to worrying about it. But my old Landcruiser I can’t even guess how many times I coasted into a gas station after sweating the last 30miles cursing its abysmal range.

So far my 19 Expedition is looking like it will be much like my Subaru 400+ range being aware I need to drive for range. Which is pretty good.

Tow a giant parachute err RV box yeah outside of a mega tank F150 heavy package or diesel tanker err pickup the Expedition might be short on range with a 10-12mpg tow mileage with a giant box in tow.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We’ll its decades err 100’s of miles better than my old 11mpg Land Cruiser regarding range. Did 12 days Yellowstone and 12 days Zion-Moab-North Rim in my 06 Sequoia that was 15mpg with 21gal tank. No issues never came close to worrying about it. But my old Landcruiser I can’t even guess how many times I coasted into a gas station after sweating the last 30miles cursing its abysmal range.

So far my 19 Expedition is looking like it will be much like my Subaru 400+ range being aware I need to drive for range. Which is pretty good.

Tow a giant parachute err RV box yeah outside of a mega tank F150 heavy package or diesel tanker err pickup the Expedition might be short on range with a 10-12mpg tow mileage with a giant box in tow.
I’ve seen comments on here quoting 10 mpg towing several times. Tomorrow I have a 9 hour drive that’s 99% interstate to pick up a overland trailer and drive it home so I’ll get a good look at max MPG with and without trailer... I’m curious to see what it’s shakes out with.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve seen comments on here quoting 10 mpg towing several times. Tomorrow I have a 9 hour drive that’s 99% interstate to pick up a overland trailer and drive it home so I’ll get a good look at max MPG with and without trailer... I’m curious to see what it’s shakes out with.
The frontal area of your overland trailer should be a lot less than a normal sail... err travel trailer.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

4x6 style trailer? Curious to see what you get. I have a 4x6 Lifetime Tent Trailer. Its pretty low profile I don’t expect more than 1-2mpg hit

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was hoping for better than 10MPG but this seems to be the norm.

I get 9 MPG hauling my +/- 7500 lb boat down 95. The size of the tank sucks royally for that. The extra 4-5 gallons my Yukon XL had was a huge benefit.

That said, this drivetrain is far better suited to towing that kind of weight, so you take the bad with the good...