Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was hoping for better than 10MPG but this seems to be the norm.

I have been getting more like 12mpg pulling our 21' camper weighing about 5k max load. I am pretty happy with it, if I kept the speed to 60-65 it would probably do a little better but the expedition hardly knows anything is back there and wants to go a little faster. This is in Utah making the trip from Salt Lake to Moab or St. George areas so it includes some climbing. Beats the pants off the Hemi we used to have.

I will be curious to see how yours does on a long drive like that. We are looking at doing a trip to Big Sur maybe next year with the camper.

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
After market tanks for gas engines are almost nonexistent. It turns out the emission controls practically forbid it. Diesel engines are regulated differently and there are lots of those options out there.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pulled a 5x8 covered trailer with a Four wheeler in it on a 300 mile road trip. Weight about 2k. 30 mph avg headwind. 10-20 degree temp. Premium fuel. 9.06 mpg. I played with the gears a little trying to keep it out of boost, and drove 65 mph. The best was just limiting it to 9th gear. Although the gas mileage is disappointing, it pulled it quite easily. My 2003 5.4 would have done just as well on economy, but would have worked harder. In these extreme conditions a 28 gallon tank would have been nice. In ideal conditions I would get 13.5 with my 2003, and just over 18 miles per gallon with my 2018. This 2018 is so far above the 2003 it is beyond compare. I will gladly accept this one event of parity, and my 24 gal tank. And, for many reasons, I would not consider a max.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pulled a 5x8 covered trailer with a Four wheeler in it on a 300 mile road trip. Weight about 2k. 30 mph avg headwind. 10-20 degree temp. Premium fuel. 9.06 mpg. I played with the gears a little trying to keep it out of boost, and drove 65 mph. The best was just limiting it to 9th gear. Although the gas mileage is disappointing, it pulled it quite easily. My 2003 5.4 would have done just as well on economy, but would have worked harder. In these extreme conditions a 28 gallon tank would have been nice. In ideal conditions I would get 13.5 with my 2003, and just over 18 miles per gallon with my 2018. This 2018 is so far above the 2003 it is beyond compare. I will gladly accept this one event of parity, and my 24 gal tank. And, for many reasons, I would not consider a max.
Head wind no trailer will wipeout mileage. Curious what you see without a heavy headwind with the trailer. I bet the head wind was easily a 5-8mpg hit.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which rear axle do you have?

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wishing for my 36gallon tank in my old truck. Pulled my Kawasaki Mule home after being at our ranch for hunting season. 14' big Tex 60 lowboy trailer. Me and 2 of my boys, our gear, and 4 coolers. From West Texas to Austin average speed was 70, anywhere from 6-8mpg.. not exaggerating.. I filled up yesterday and drove a little 100 miles home, and had to fill up again to get to work this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wishing for my 36gallon tank in my old truck. Pulled my Kawasaki Mule home after being at our ranch for hunting season. 14' big Tex 60 lowboy trailer. Me and 2 of my boys, our gear, and 4 coolers. From West Texas to Austin average speed was 70, anywhere from 6-8mpg.. not exaggerating.. I filled up yesterday and drove a little 100 miles home, and had to fill up again to get to work this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something is not right if you are being serious! The worst I have seen in mine is towing a 5k RV at 70 in the wind and I was averaging 10-11. I have pulled my father in laws Polaris razr 4 seater and can't even feel it back there and get 18mpg.

A guy I occasionally ride with has a huge enclosed trailer with 2 razrs in it and he pulls it at 80+ (yes an idiot) and he gets 6-8.

Teasip

Reaction score
I believe the full tank is bigger on the MAX. For those who choose to buy an Expedition, might as well go all out and get the MAX.