Full Race Freak-O-Boost Finally Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a pic of my install. Wasn’t too bad of an experience. There were a few differences due to the install being on an Expedition as opposed to a F-150. Nothing too difficult to accomplish.

Attachments

• A83CC225-B649-44A9-9FCB-AFD03A600478.jpeg
    A83CC225-B649-44A9-9FCB-AFD03A600478.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 55F2C296-33A6-466B-8C95-9992CA08D8F3.jpeg
    55F2C296-33A6-466B-8C95-9992CA08D8F3.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 81

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice... which turbo did you go with? Any other upgrades? Who did the tune? How is the boost threshold?

OP
OP
Ellison Brown III

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok… so I’ve got Full Race’s natural finish CAC, mechanical Turbosmart BOV, MAF spacer, and all the new hot/ cold pipes that come with the kit. As well as Full Race’s oil catch can. I’ve got an HP Tune installed by Eddie at Elite Performance and Tune out of Littleton, CO. Let me tell you about this tune… I was so impressed by it when it was initially installed!!! The truck would launch SO HARD that you would think I had a freakin’ Mustang. Over time this performance eroded very badly do to Ford’s poor design.

I would constantly get water/ oil deposits on my manifold sensor. This in turn would make it go into limp mode robbing it just about all it’s power. Made very depressing to drive. Initially I did the “drilled hole” in the intercooler mod. A bunch of crap came out. Performance went back up; briefly. So, decided to do the Full Race catch can as another I tried just wasn’t pulling any contaminates out of the system; it only connected to the PCV side of the engine. Not to mention it kept setting an Open PVC code every so often. Got rid of it, and no more codes. With the Full Race installed I just emptied out about 1/3 of a cup into one of those red plastic Solo cups. That’s the most I’ve ever collected in the short time I’ve had the can on (dealer emptied it during an oil change. I could tell because the handle was greasy, and not in the same stowed position I set it in).

So, upon removal of the old intercooler I had a bunch of water, and oil in it. The fluid you see inside of the intercooler is just a fraction of the total contents; some spilled out during removal. Which completely explains why I couldn’t get an hard accelerations out of it.

Attachments

• 7D7C59FA-A77D-4D06-AF4C-3B111C328DE3.jpeg
    7D7C59FA-A77D-4D06-AF4C-3B111C328DE3.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 6D17143B-4E20-45D0-A316-C7AB32A64FBB.jpeg
    6D17143B-4E20-45D0-A316-C7AB32A64FBB.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ellison Brown III

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it all buttoned up yesterday. As I head back to work in New York for the new year I’ll be stopping by Elite Performance and Tune for a re-tune. If it drove like a scalded dog before the Full Race upgrade I can only imagine what it will do now!!!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any plans to dyno it? Did you go with the 6258 or the 6758 and what A/R? I thought about doing this as an upgrade if/when a turbo fails. Any reason why you went with a catch can over an air oil separator?

OP
OP
Ellison Brown III

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any plans to dyno it? Did you go with the 6258 or the 6758 and what A/R? I thought about doing this as an upgrade if/when a turbo fails. Any reason why you went with a catch can over an air oil separator?
Yes… visiting friends in Colorado Springs this weekend while waiting for my appointment for a re-tune on the dyno this Monday. Te guys at Elite Performance and Tuning in Littleton, CO take care of my dyno/ tuning needs.

The first visit there a couple of years back they turned the Expedition into a beast. Then the dreaded water/ oil mixture in my intercooler turned my truck into crap. I did the Full Race oil catch can as I mentioned earlier. That helped, but I still had to drill into the intercooler to drain it. That helped more, but I still wasn’t satisfied. I finally got the kit I’ve been wanting. Can’t wait to see what numbers I end up with.

OP
OP
Ellison Brown III

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry… I got distracted. Didn’t change turbo’s. I actually had to repair the driver side turbo coolant line as it was leaking. At that point I did contemplate upgrading the turbo’s but it was a bit much to do. Instead I just did that repair; been good since. As far as an air oil separator goes I had the shop that tuned my truck throw one on the PCV side of the motor. I ended up with check engine lights due to PCV issue. As soon as I bypassed it I would not get the check engine light. Also, it would never have anything in it to drain. So I decided to try something different after removing my sensors before, and after the throttle body, to see them saturated in an oily residue; to include the throttle body butterfly, and throat, covered in it as well. The Full Race setup I have is essentially an air/ oil/ water separator as the inside contains a mesh like any other I’ve seen that traps the contaminated air traveling through it. Then you drain it. Like the fact that it’s a larger container so, I don’t have to worry about it over filling in a short time.

An old supervisor had an F-150 he essentially turned into a Raptor with some exterior mods, engine tuning, and engine parts modifications. Don’t quote my numbers but I believe he was in the neighborhood of 550hp and 735 lbs-per/ft tq. Needless to say I would use his trail, and errors, to make my decisions on what mods to do. The interesting thing I found out when starting this going on 5 yrs now is that the 2016 F-150 and Expedition are not as similar to each other as one might believe. Example being the very first mod I did was swapped out the OEM take-off 20in wheels from his 2016 to my 2016. Didn’t work in the rear!!! Shafts on the rear half-shafts protruded through the center cap hole. Took me about 30-45min to remedy that. Then took it in to have the TPMS sensors mated to the truck… nope. Not compatible. Had to buy new ones. Then I found out about something else when I try for the next mod. Not a lot of things out there for our trucks listed.

Hell, the guys at Full Race were surprised when I stopped by to get some smaller stickers to put on my truck (they give you a bunch in the kit that are huge). They told me they didn’t make a kit for the Expedition; doesn’t work. I point to my truck in the parking lot… told them, “…yeah, it does. And, I didn’t have to remove the front grille to install it, relocate the horn, or anything else for that matter.

Hell, I got way off the original topic. As far as the catch can goes I’ve been picking up oil, water, etc inside of it since mounting (another item Full Race did not intend for my truck; no mounting provisions on the firewall like the F-150 has for it). So, I feel it’s doing what it’s suppose to do.

Attachments

• D52D76B5-24B4-4986-95C2-8DCB441A7722.jpeg
    D52D76B5-24B4-4986-95C2-8DCB441A7722.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ellison Brown III

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pretty good with those numbers. Only other thing I want to do is add a Full Race CAI. Don’t think the numbers will change much, if at all, because we opened the air box to simulate a CAI installed.