Fun day off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's water/snow he's trying to keep out, good luck. If he's packing the outside, something I've never heard of , wouldn't water resistant white boat grease be the ticket.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's water/snow he's trying to keep out, good luck. If he's packing the outside, something I've never heard of , wouldn't water resistant white boat grease be the ticket.

It'll probably fling off in 50 miles.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything was pre assembled and greased from Ford out of the box including slip yolk. I’d think like bob said the grease would just fling off outside caps. The old slip yolk didn’t have much if any grease left, just something to look into for other owners. I recall reading about this issue on the F-150 but never related it to the expy where the slip yolk and splines end up dry. I recall owners were installing grease fittings. I’ve noticed some improvements with the new assembly.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Everything was pre assembled and greased from Ford out of the box including slip yolk. I’d think like bob said the grease would just fling off outside caps. The old slip yolk didn’t have much if any grease left, just something to look into for other owners. I recall reading about this issue on the F-150 but never related it to the expy where the slip yolk and splines end up dry. I recall owners were installing grease fittings. I’ve noticed some improvement with the new slip yolk and grease.
I'm actually thinking about doing mine just because I'm sure one of my U joints will die over the winter.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See that's why a quality u joint with built in greaseable zerk fittings is the ticket. Like ball joints and tie rod ends, when you hit them with a good shot of proper grease, you can double or triple the life span of the part. I remember my first real job at the Arco gas station doing oil changes on those 50's/60's cars, and light trucks. I must have greased at least 10 zerk fittings at every oil change. In those days, Ford/Chevy/Chrysler, included them from the factory, no extra charge. Shame the big three want the parts to wear out, or break these days. Sad world these days.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The splined slip yoke (if it has one) gets a special Ford blue Teflon grease. My first generation Expedition used clunk on start-up when the Teflon stuff wore off. It would grab I guess. About every 2 - 3 years it looked for more.

I smear grease or nickel anti-sieze on the outside of the caps to ward off corrosion. Even if it only stays on for a year, that's a year's less rust when I have to get it apart. And those spring clips are buried in grease instead of rust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was under the truck yesterday doing my annual oily mess rustproofing spray down and noticed the driveshaft still looks brand new......that’s odd thought it would be surface rusting by now....gave it a little coat along with everything else anyway so she’s double protected now. Long live the shine!