Future towing setup. Good to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure to get a decent WDH.
100% a necessity. I tow a boat that is 5000 lbs and I squat like there's no tomorrow. My setup is spot on. TW is correct, axels are set correct distance apart and from the front of the trailer.

Without air ride or air suspension, the truck with any decent amount of weight will sag in the rear.

WDH is the way to go.

zac langston

Reaction score
Hello,
I would recommend making sure you buy one with the air suspension. If you go to the "suspension" forums on this website and read some of that stuff you will gain a ton of knowledge. Your camper seems like a light one, so you might not have issues, but for peace of mind, I would go with the air suspension. I am stock and it sucks. The ecoboost motor is MORE than capable of towing the load, but the independent rear suspension is not the best set up for towing. And believe me when I say there is ABOSULTELY NOTHING out there aftermarket to help make it better. NOTHING.
It has been recommended to me to buy a weight distribution hitch made by Equalizer. Apparently they are the best on the market. (and the price reflects it) But some kind of weight distribution hitch is a must.

mark Haasser

Reaction score
Just checking, Did everyone who tows, wait for the 1000 miles the owner's manual says to wait? I will have 700 miles on my 19 Max Stealth and I want to avoid using my 2007 EL.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% a necessity. I tow a boat that is 5000 lbs and I squat like there's no tomorrow. My setup is spot on. TW is correct, axels are set correct distance apart and from the front of the trailer.

Without air ride or air suspension, the truck with any decent amount of weight will sag in the rear.

WDH is the way to go.

You put a WDH on your 5K boat? I have a similar boat and problem. I wish there was a way to level the ride once the trailer is hooked up without doing a WDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You put a WDH on your 5K boat? I have a similar boat and problem. I wish there was a way to level the ride once the trailer is hooked up without doing a WDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tow a 7000 lb boat with mine without issue. Check the trailer manufacturer website and you'll likely find that the tongue weight on boat trailers is supposed to be 5%-7% for heavy ones, but never more than 10%. I also threw a set of sumo-spring helpers on there and it tows fine. Have already done an 1100 mile round trip with it. Engine is definitely up to the task, but mileage is a little worse than my previous GMC Yukon.

Overall I am very pleased with the setup, but have my fingers crossed for an aftermarket air suspension to really dial it in.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checking, Did everyone who tows, wait for the 1000 miles the owner's manual says to wait? I will have 700 miles on my 19 Max Stealth and I want to avoid using my 2007 EL.
I can't answer for "everyone", but we did. We spent a couple of Sunday afternoons taking road trips around the state just to rack up the needed miles. (In fact, my profile pic was taken on one of the aforementioned road trips.)

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
I’d recommend checking the payload numbers. These & typically the F150’s run out of payload before towing capacity. Example. My 2019 XLT is 1650. Trailer + family/dog etc uses about ~1350 payload. WDH is another ~100, so 200 left for growing kids + any other gear in the Expy.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
My understanding is that air suspension just reduces sag and doesn’t redistribute weight. So handling during towing would still probably be better with a WDH. I know there is at least one YouTube video out there that shows the weight tests between the two methods.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air suspension does not replace a WDH. It really just helps level it out and take out some sag. The only real option currently available to help with the sag is the sumo spring things. Mine doesn't sag enough with our trailer for me to worry about it but that would be the first thing I would try if I did have a sagging issue.