FX4 and LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tomorrow afternoon, I have a scheduled appt at the dealership; they claim that they can adjust my headlights "laterally" as well as up-n-down. I still have the OEM bulbs installed, and will replace bulbs after the dealer tries his best to fix it. I also still have my Highway Safety report with ID number . . .

wojo23323

Reaction score
I installed the Ravmix LED bulbs in the low and high beam and the Beamtech in the fog lights. They look and work great and are much brighter. However, when Auto Stop / Start turns the engine back on, the DRL and low beams flicker for a split second. What could cause this?

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like we share twin vehicles!! I don't know about the flicker, except that I've read references to it in other previous posts. Maybe someone with better G-2 will chime in shortly.

My dealer said that there was ways to adjust lateral movement with the lights. My beams DID need to be adjusted, and while the Espy was in the shop, they did an update on the ASS system; seems to resume RPMs more smoothly than before.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the Ravmix LED bulbs in the low and high beam and the Beamtech in the fog lights. They look and work great and are much brighter. However, when Auto Stop / Start turns the engine back on, the DRL and low beams flicker for a split second. What could cause this?

I just installed same and noticed this on first start in the garage, auto S/S I haven't noticed yet as it's only been driven in the day, I will keep an eye on it.

I am guessing the LEDs respond way faster to the power cut off when starter is engaged. All modern cars do this, they cut power for an instant to all non critical loads to maximize the amperage available to the starter.

The halogens take a second to cool down, watch your front indicators blinking, they are halogens and they dont on/off, they fade in and out. So I guess what you are seeing is the difference between a halogen that fades out but the power comes back before its dimmed a lot and a LED that turns off instantly.

A big capacitor would resolve this and I'd bet dollars to donuts that the official LED headlamp assembly has a capacitor bank built in to maintain power while the starter operates.

wojo23323

Reaction score
Looks like we share twin vehicles!! I don't know about the flicker, except that I've read references to it in other previous posts. Maybe someone with better G-2 will chime in shortly.

My dealer said that there was ways to adjust lateral movement with the lights. My beams DID need to be adjusted, and while the Espy was in the shop, they did an update on the ASS system; seems to resume RPMs more smoothly than before.

I’m going to have to see if they will do an update to my auto stop / start system. When it auto starts at a stop light, the vehicle seems to jump. It’s not a smooth stop / start at all and it’s very noticeable. I really don’t like the system and would like to permanently disable it.

wojo23323

Reaction score
I just installed same and noticed this on first start in the garage, auto S/S I haven't noticed yet as it's only been driven in the day, I will keep an eye on it.

I am guessing the LEDs respond way faster to the power cut off when starter is engaged. All modern cars do this, they cut power for an instant to all non critical loads to maximize the amperage available to the starter.

The halogens take a second to cool down, watch your front indicators blinking, they are halogens and they dont on/off, they fade in and out. So I guess what you are seeing is the difference between a halogen that fades out but the power comes back before its dimmed a lot and a LED that turns off instantly.

A big capacitor would resolve this and I'd bet dollars to donuts that the official LED headlamp assembly has a capacitor bank built in to maintain power while the starter operates.

I was thinking the same thing about a capacitor.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m going to have to see if they will do an update to my auto stop / start system. When it auto starts at a stop light, the vehicle seems to jump. It’s not a smooth stop / start at all and it’s very noticeable. I really don’t like the system and would like to permanently disable it.

AFAIK its buried in the advanced menu system, only available when stopped

Advanced Settings >> Vehicle >> Auto Engine Off

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...etCode=US&languageCode=EN&VIN=&userMarket=USA

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmmm let me check, sure I saw it there, maybe a SoCal thing?