Gas cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trjc3rd

Reaction score
Someone thought it would be hilarious to steal my gas cap, I did not. So I bought a locking gas cap so it wouldn’t happen again but it didn’t come with a tether. Does anyone know where I can get a good one that will attach to not only the new cap but to the truck itself?

I checked all over the internet and there’s one made by Dorman came up the most. Problem is, it gets horrible reviews ranging from it’s cheaply made to the tether is too sort. I don’t want to waste my time and money on a product like that. I could bail on the one I bought and get a gas cap that already comes with a tether, but again where can I find a good one?

I can imagine some of out there think this a ridiculous post and I get that. But with the price of gas nowadays it makes sense to get a locking gas cap. It also makes sense to have a tether so wont loose your gas cap. So if any of you who took the time to read this have any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them. Thanks.
2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone thought it would be hilarious to steal my gas cap, I did not. So I bought a locking gas cap so it wouldn’t happen again but it didn’t come with a tether. Does anyone know where I can get a good one that will attach to not only the new cap but to the truck itself?

I checked all over the internet and there’s one made by Dorman came up the most. Problem is, it gets horrible reviews ranging from it’s cheaply made to the tether is too sort. I don’t want to waste my time and money on a product like that. I could bail on the one I bought and get a gas cap that already comes with a tether, but again where can I find a good one?

I can imagine some of out there think this a ridiculous post and I get that. But with the price of gas nowadays it makes sense to get a locking gas cap. It also makes sense to have a tether so wont loose your gas cap. So if any of you who took the time to read this have any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them. Thanks.

You may want to post the year, make and model of your vehicle.

I bought a Motorcraft locking (with key) gas cap for my 2015 Expedition, after buying it new. It does not have a tether, but can prevent someone from stealing it. The part name was, “plug”, as my year has the cap less fuel fill neck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trjc3rd

trjc3rd

Reaction score
I took your guys advice and bough myself a Motorcraft one. It took me a while to find one that wasn’t either out of stock, or way too expensive. It must’ve been my lucky day because I found one, brand new, only $25.12.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big problem is thieves these days aren't just using the gas fill spout to siphon gas. They are getting under the vehicle and drilling a hole in the tank to drain the gas! They don't give a d*mn about the cost of the tank replacement, it's not their vehicle!!

Edit: Only heard of this in regard to plastic gas tanks, not sure what happens if tried on metal tanks....

Last edited:

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At one point somebody (probably Stant) made a retrofit from the cap to capless adapter. My Expedition is the only car I've got left that has an actual cap, I've been longing to just stick it in and get on with the pumping without any fiddling around beforehand, but I can't find it anymore!