Gas filler door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In today's day and age of robotic assembly plants, the amount of misalignment issues starts to feel like laziness on Ford's part. Parts quality and assembly should be very repeatable to tight tolerances. It will be interesting to see if the fit and finish on the 2021 Tahoe/Suburban beats out the Expy.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would expect to see things like that on the first MY of a new vehicle from a domestic automaker. Which is why I’ve lived with a couple of little things like that on my ‘18.

But... Probably by ‘19 and certainly by ‘20, they should have those things ironed out.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In today's day and age of robotic assembly plants, the amount of misalignment issues starts to feel like laziness on Ford's part. Parts quality and assembly should be very repeatable to tight tolerances. It will be interesting to see if the fit and finish on the 2021 Tahoe/Suburban beats out the Expy.

I ordered from the dealer and took delivery of a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 that had 2 miles on it.

When I picked up the vehicle, the LF painted wheel-opening moulding was not attached properly and was crooked. The black plastic fasteners inside the wheel lip opening were not fully seated or bent.

The painted molded piece on the lower LF fender (behind the wheel splash area) was also installed crooked.

The Ford factory employee didn’t install the pieces properly, the factory quality control inspector (if there was one) did not do his job, the dealer service employee that was paid to do the PDI did not do his job, and the salesperson did not inspect the vehicle.

I took delivery of the vehicle on a Sunday, and then had to return it for repair. I had sold my prior vehicle to a family member, so I needed the new vehicle.

I regret accepting the vehicle and have not had a good experience with the Ford dealers or the reliability of the vehicle.

My opinion - I think Ford had so much business that they really didn’t care about producing a quality vehicle, and still don’t. Their poor quality will affect future purchases (or lack of future purchases), including mine.

Last edited:

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone else’s door just look whack out of alignment? There are days when I’m genuinely embarrassed to admit what this truck cost ($83k)

719081-B0-FDBF-4-C33-8-AE1-7-A20-C2-C955-B5.jpg

Looks like the door "oil canned" in. Or is the picture deceiving? Can you pop it back out from the inside?

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We took delivery of a New 2018 Limited in January of 2019 with this exact issue. Since we traveled 560 miles to Cronin Ford, they took care of it immediately while we watched. The fuel door is plastic that clips on to the hinge. One of the clips was not in the slot. Once they got it installed correctly it was very close to perfect, and became perfect over the course of a few days. If the plastic door takes a “set” it can simply be replaced. After a very thorough inspection there were two issues with our delivery. This fuel door issue, and the engine coolant needed 10-12 oz added to it. We were elated with our delivery and this dealership. Made us almost want to move to Ohio. On the way home we reminisced about our 1982 Chevy Cavalier that had 35 issues on delivery, with more issues to follow. But that is a whole different story. So, it should be a very simple fix but I would let the dealer do it.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can happily report that mine looks like a normal gas filler door to me. The gaps look about equal when I change perspective.

MVIMG_20191224_165001.jpg

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a very compound shape. Lots of curve. Frankly it’s odd they’d do this. Mine is thankfully acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Carl

Reaction score
Does anyone else’s door just look whack out of alignment? There are days when I’m genuinely embarrassed to admit what this truck cost ($83k)

719081-B0-FDBF-4-C33-8-AE1-7-A20-C2-C955-B5.jpg
Something is wrong there. I’d take to dealer immediately and make sure Manager gives you a loaner. No way you drop 80k and have to be without your ride for a few days!