Gas overflow when filling the tank on a 2008?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlaRay

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time. Dealer took a look at it and replaced the canister, but did not fix the issue. There is a thread out there somewhere that used I believe a Chevy filler hose with a check valve? Let me see if I can find it

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shut off is part of the nozzle.before putting nozzle in tank point tip to the ground let any gas drain out!! There is a small hole in the spout that is the sensor to shut off if the previous person squeezed fuel in their tank and it is full the nozzle doesn't shut off correctly. Or sometimes they wear and the tube is not held to the spout. the inner tube floats inside the spout. I Was in Gas station repair for 10 years.
I do put hose in tank, open by trying to pump gas, and then select gas to start pumping. It made more sense to me than trying to clear hose by dumping fuel on ground. Don't know that it made a dimes worth of difference but I do a lot of other useless crap too.

OP
OP
Nitro_Alltrac

Nitro_Alltrac

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time. Dealer took a look at it and replaced the canister, but did not fix the issue. There is a thread out there somewhere that used I believe a Chevy filler hose with a check valve? Let me see if I can find it

Thanks!

montazuma

Reaction score
I have a 2007. If I try and fill beyond the first auto stop it overflows every time...mind you after about the third time I stopped that practice but old habits die hard and I still forget from time to time. Newer auto stops are not just a liquid sensor but also a vapor lock mechanism. I find it much harder than any other vehicle to get the vapor lock correct and often have to manually hold and repetitively reset both the lever and the nozzle angle. My guess is that the filler neck is not fully sealed. Evidence of this is that the gas never leaks out from the top but from somewhere on the filler neck that is not visible. That is somewhat disconcerting since I suspect that means that the cap is not going to keep gas contained in the event of a roll over or high angle off roading. Anyone have insight into that?

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if it has to do with anti-siphion.
iimagine

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
This has happened to me several times over the years and it is only one Safeway gas station that it happens at.