Gear Mesh Noise - 2014 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
I did as ManUpOrShutUp suggested. Turned off the Auto button before starting the vehicle from setting overnight (more than 8 hours). Drove the vehicle till the dash temp was at mid-point... presumed normal operating temp. Opened the windows with the radio off and pressed the auto button. No rattle type noise was heard. Next day kept the Auto button on and started the vehicle from an overnight "Cold" start. We heard the noise like usual after about 4 seconds. So... does this situation mean it's normal and no harm to the vehicle will result. Any thoughts would be helpful. The dealership seems to be unable to figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did as ManUpOrShutUp suggested. Turned off the Auto button before starting the vehicle from setting overnight (more than 8 hours). Drove the vehicle till the dash temp was at mid-point... presumed normal operating temp. Opened the windows with the radio off and pressed the auto button. No rattle type noise was heard. Next day kept the Auto button on and started the vehicle from an overnight "Cold" start. We heard the noise like usual after about 4 seconds. So... does this situation mean it's normal and no harm to the vehicle will result. Any thoughts would be helpful. The dealership seems to be unable to figure it out. Thanks.

Based on the information from the service manual and additional info I have gathered on how the CASS operates, yes. No one at my dealership even knew what a "Compressor Anti-Slugging Strategy" was or that Ford had implemented one.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the information. Believe we will keep the Expedition a little longer as it is a great vehicle for us.

ssmock

Reaction score
My symptoms are the same. Start cold without ac on, let it warm up then turn on with no noise. Next day start up with ac on, got the meshing noise within a few seconds. Looks like something we have to live with. Wish my dealer would have known or explained that procedure in the first place. You would think Ford would have their service people be more on top of things. Thanks for the help and comments.

ssmock

Reaction score
So glad I found this thread. I believe I'm having the same thing happen in my 2010 limited. I'll try turning off the auto temp tomorrow morning before starting.
Don't know why they were made this way but that was my problem back before it went out of warranty at 50K miles. It know has 112k miles. Still does it if I leave the auto air on.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know why they were made this way but that was my problem back before it went out of warranty at 50K miles. It know has 112k miles. Still does it if I leave the auto air on.

It's Ford's attempt at trying to prolong the life of the compressor.