Gear Mesh Noise - 2014 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDSavage

Reaction score
First time to submit a post here. Seen lots of good advise and information. Have a 2014 Limited with 6,500 miles on it so far that we purchased new last October. When it is stone cold (sits overnight for a few days in the garage) a slight gear mesh noise, or something like it, can be heard under the vehicle. May be the trans or around the transfer case. Would appreciate any ideas on the source before I return to the dealer for service. Thanks.

satcomtim

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, about 4k miles on it and only when cold and in the same area. Curious what you find out. I can't get to the dealer anytime soon, but have been wondering about it.

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time to submit a post here. Seen lots of good advise and information. Have a 2014 Limited with 6,500 miles on it so far that we purchased new last October. When it is stone cold (sits overnight for a few days in the garage) a slight gear mesh noise, or something like it, can be heard under the vehicle. May be the trans or around the transfer case. Would appreciate any ideas on the source before I return to the dealer for service. Thanks.

I am having the same issue, about 4k miles on it and only when cold and in the same area. Curious what you find out. I can't get to the dealer anytime soon, but have been wondering about it.

Hi guys (and welcome, to MDSavage!),

I can check out some additional assistance on this. Visiting your dealer is always a helpful step in figuring out the causes. Once you have an appointment set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Thanks Meghan,

I will have to coordinate leaving the vehicle overnight and get transportation back so they can hear the noise when the vehicle is stone cold. That is when the vehicle makes the noise. Will contact you once the appointment is made.

Thanks again.

blackexp9555

Reaction score
hello

i too have the same problem !! it comes when the engine is dead cold and stays until it warms up ... sound gets quite loud when accelerating

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Megan at Ford Service... I was able to make an appointment and visit the dealer that sold me the Expedition. Left the vehicle overnight so it would be cold so the tech could hear the noise. They kept it all day and said he could not duplicate the noise. I took it home and guess what happened the next day. Yep, it was there just like always. If you can message me with the best way to reach you I will discuss further what went on at the dealer.

Will have to arrange another drop off overnight'er. This time I plan to be there at 7 am the next day (after letting it sit in their lot overnight) when the tech is suppose to listen for the noise as once it is started it will not make the noise again the rest of the day... but will the next morning.

Thank you.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? There are several TSBs out there that Megan hasn't mentioned that cover similar noise. One is for the cam phasers and one is for the front transmission pump.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Megan at Ford Service... I was able to make an appointment and visit the dealer that sold me the Expedition. Left the vehicle overnight so it would be cold so the tech could hear the noise. They kept it all day and said he could not duplicate the noise. I took it home and guess what happened the next day. Yep, it was there just like always.

It's not that they are truly unable to duplicate the problem, but rather that Ford techs are instructed to delay acknowledgement of the problem for as long as possible. This is done to minimize Ford's cost for warranty repairs. Delay, deny, defend. Insurance companies pull the same scam.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
The noise in my unit comes from under the vehicle around the transmission. When sitting in my garage overnight when started the first time the noise is heard about 4 seconds after starting. Once it starts it won't make the noise anymore that day. I plan to take the vehicle to the dealer the night before and then be there at opening (7am) and sit in it till the tech comes to start it up. That way I can point out the noise and make sure it happens while he is there. Sad if they are told to delay as suggested.

A TSB for the trans pump. That sounds major possibly?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise in my unit comes from under the vehicle around the transmission. When sitting in my garage overnight when started the first time the noise is heard about 4 seconds after starting. Once it starts it won't make the noise anymore that day. I plan to take the vehicle to the dealer the night before and then be there at opening (7am) and sit in it till the tech comes to start it up. That way I can point out the noise and make sure it happens while he is there. Sad if they are told to delay as suggested.

A TSB for the trans pump. That sounds major possibly?

that fits the TSB to a T. Good luck on the repair.