Gen III auto fold mirrors

Discussion in 'After Market Add-Ons' started by scythefwd, Feb 7, 2019.

1. scythefwd

scythefwd Well-Known Member

I'm reading in several places there isn't a way to use forscan or any ways to just reprogram our gen III mirrors to auto fold.

I have found a relay.. that when it sees hot, it does a delay turn off cycle. Now it stays hot while there is power on the lead.. But I wonder if I can use it to control my mirrors.

Buttons are only temporary activated switches or shorts on an electrical circuit. Using the relay, I can configure it to temporarily short the two leads in the harness that would be connected when we hit the button to fold our mirrors (emulating a long press basically).

What this means is IF I can find something that provides a temporary connection.. like a puddle light.. I can have the relay trigger for about .5 seconds (its a real long hold of the button lol). Should be able to functionally enable auto fold mirrors pretty easily. It's a hammer, no grace at all in it.. but doable. Just got to find a correct source to trigger the relay with.. Don't want to use my flashers of course. Puddle light ONLY lights up when we hit the lock/unlock buttons? Would that work?

2. scythefwd

Ok, puddle lights are lit too long to be useful.. I don't want there to be an equivalent of running electricity through the circuit for 30 seconds when its really designed for about a second..

That's ok, there is a kit for Arduino that does change of state detection (it knows when you push the button, and when you stop pushing it) that might be useable with a relay , a harness, and a voltage step down converter (to drop 12v to 5 v). It would, theoretically trigger once for a short time when the switched dc (there is almost always one coming off a radio and one off the ignition) goes on, and when it goes off. So when you start the car, mirrors swing out.. when you turn car off, they swing in.. I think this is doable.. who knows how much it will cost lol

3. Sgt Darkness

Sgt Darkness Full Access Members

Yes it will work that way.....just use a switch to send temporary juice to the mirrors until they fold in or out then switch it off. Not sure what voltage you need for the mirror motor but it’s probably a 12 volt system.....

4. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

There are time delay relays available that can be adjusted to give you any pulse length you need.

5. scythefwd

The time delay relays I'm seeing activate after a time delay (or deactivate with a time delay).. but stay active while the trigger is on.. so if I hit the button and my puddle lights trigger 50 ft away.. and then I stand outside talking.. I very well could be looking at a minute long button push..

SGT - actually I'm looking at using all the in built systems.. and just using a quick short across the connections on the fold button (electronic activation of the button, using the rest of the system as designed, no mods)