General Grabber tires on brand new 22 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a new 22 model year Expedition a month back. Have put about 1200 miles in the vehicle. I just noticed that the stock tires are from an unreliable brand - General Grabber.

What are my options to get it replaced with a more premium brand like say Michelin?

Is there some shop where I can sell it for a discount ?

Will the ford dealer take it back by any chance ?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a new 22 model year Expedition a month back. Have put about 1200 miles in the vehicle. I just noticed that the stock tires are from an unreliable brand - General Grabber.

What are my options to get it replaced with a more premium brand like say Michelin?

Call around a few local shops. They might bite on buying them. But don’t expect much. I’d also try FB market place or Craigslist. Sometimes people need them for lease turn in.

Infra246

Reaction score
As has been concluded by many on here including myself, the General Grabbers are total garbage and Ford should be ashamed for taking a flagship vehicle with this price tag and ruining the way it rides by trying to save a few dollars and putting on cheap tires. Next trade I will insist that Michelines be put on at the dealer and worked in to the deal, I will not accept delivery with these tires.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I don't believe that the dealer will buy them but it's worth a try. Call around tore shops in your area. What trim do you have?

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire shops may pay you like $200 max for a whole set. No dealers will buy used tire due to liability issue. I used to have Hancook with my 2019 and I ditched them for Michelin LTX.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Factory tires on mass market vehicles are almost always an extremely entry level tire or manufacture specific variant of a tire. Don't dismiss an entire brand just because the factory put on the cheapest variant of a model they could sign a deal with. I run their Grabber ATX (all terrain) and it's quieter on road and better in soft stuff than Michelin all terrains I've had on my Suburban.

Pull them off and list on FB marketplace and Craigslist. I'd think $500 is super reasonable to get assuming they're in great shape.

Last edited:

mreed112

Reaction score
Ford's tire selection is based on balancing many attributes most of which are conflicting. Cost is only one of those attributes and is very important. In recent years, rolling resistance (fuel economy) has also become very important. Non price purchasing and commercial issues like supplier development, balancing capacity and long term commitments also affect supplier selection.

Actually, the General Grabbers are fairly highly rated in consumers surveys at Tire Rack, Consumers Reports, etc. I have 5000 trouble free miles on 22" Grabbers in my 22 KR. So far they seem better than the 20" Hankooks I had on my 2015 KR.

I would recommend that you put some miles on the OEM tires to see if they are indeed problematic. At least you will get some useage and value out of the tires before you replace them.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Word is that the General Grabbers that we have on our 22 Expeditions are OEM versions, which are supposedly different than the Aftermarket versions that you from Tire Rack, etc. I have a 22 Platinum, which DID NOT sit in Chip Hell. I had it in my driveway 3 weeks after it was built. My tires are impossible to balance. I'm waiting for Pirelli Scorpions AS + 3 to replace the Generals