GM tow ratings out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM’s rating is more realistic depending on the situation for a half ton truck in my opinion. The Expeditions have always had high (9,000ish) capacity but if you are towing a sail it doesn’t have much wheelbase or the chassis to do it super comfortably compared to a 3/4 ton. Plus with the payload cap you often can’t get there to the max tow rating anyway. Also to be fair keep in mind GM historically doesn’t go for the headline grabbing tow ratings on any of their trucks, they rate more conservatively than Ford across the board.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, not really surprising since they waited so long to release them, but it looks like my money has to stay with Ford for a while. I'm probably one of the few that actually uses the entire tow rating of my Expy, so I have been looking for this data just to see how much GM would up the ante.

Turns out they didn't...

View attachment 35925

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/05/20...pg-and-towing-specs-officially-revealed-news/

They’ve always been conservative and now with an IRS I’m not surprised.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its probably limited to make sure the suspension meets their ride and handling requirements while towing

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not that bad...I think for most of us the payload is the limiting factor anyway. Once thing to note is that SAE J2807 allocates 150 lbs for the driver and passenger each, so that's essentially another 300 lbs as buffer if the GM half-tons conform to the standard. It's nice to have options...with the 6.2, I think GM is competitive with the Expeditions.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not that bad...I think for most of us the payload is the limiting factor anyway. Once thing to note is that SAE J2807 allocates 150 lbs for the driver and passenger each, so that's essentially another 300 lbs as buffer if the GM half-tons conform to the standard. It's nice to have options...with the 6.2, I think GM is competitive with the Expeditions.
The problem with the 6.2 as a 1/2T towing motor is it's heavy and eats into payload. Kinda like the diesel 3/4T pickups.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the 6.2 as a 1/2T towing motor is it's heavy and eats into payload. Kinda like the diesel 3/4T pickups.

Pushrod engines are usually pretty light compared to OHC engines (granted, there's a large difference in displacement here). The Ecoboost has two cylinder heads and two turbochargers hanging off of it. Here's what I found online.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ls3/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#3.5L_D35_(second_generation)

It appears the weight is comparable, with the LS3 slightly ahead.