Going in for laundry list of issues, is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Updating below in bold

1) recurring coolant consumption, they checked it last fall, could not find anything, I’ve added coolant several times totaling Appx 1 gallon since then. Having to carry a gallon of coolant on our family vacation from MI to FL was pretty lame feeling LOL they are struggling to find this

2 Vehicle has a very bad surge when it’s cold and it seems to be happening almost all the time now when we drive it. We had it re-flashed for the cam phaser TSB and I’m wondering if it has something to do with that. Wastegates both rattle pretty loud, could it be play in those mechanisms causing uneven accel? We did plugs and air filter at last oil change. at least one turbo is leaking oil, they have new TSB flash update to perhaps reverse the one they installed last fall to theoretically help with cam phaser noise. I asked him if the wastegate noise I'm hearing would warrant turbo replacement, he's checking. He also mentioned cam phasers and a VSC solenoid or something, not sure??

3). panoramic moonroof is making grinding noises when we try to open or close it. Had to help it to get it closed last time. I read about the lift arms, hoping it’s a “simple repair” like that and not a complete sunroof track replacement. new sunroof track ordered

4 Rear wiper stopped working, halfway across the lift glass parts ordered

5 Power tilt steering is jammed in the lowest setting (I can hardly get my legs under the wheel parts ordered

6 Passenger running board randomly won’t go up. Motor was replaced 15k miles ago on both running boards

7 Rear brake caliper sticking intermittently parts ordered, covered on the side that is sticking

8 Pass mirror does the “click” thing when changing seat memory and I wrote the TSB down for reflash. covered

Looks like they've covered everything except the $100 ded, which is awesome. Here's to hoping they can find the coolant leak, and I'm really hoping for resolution or improvement at least on item 2 above.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, I feel for you. I’ve got a 2018 Max Limited purchased Gold Certified with about the same mileage now and when purchased. So far, I’ve found lubing the running board hinge spots every other month is key or they anti trap when binding. As far as the coolant leak, I had the same and the water pump leaked but only under pressure hot. I’ve changed all the fluids, spark plugs and filters and the truck has been great but I also had both turbos replaced for the rattling wastegates as well as on a third set of cam phasers and the oil pan was replaced and resealed since the early models are the few with the plastic pans. #8 is a software update that I also had done as well like others mentioned. As far as the sunroof, there is also a TSB if you Google it for a Ford specific specified lube for the seal and tracks as well as how to clean it. I did that on my own and got the grease from Amazon and it worked great. I really like the trucks capabilities that are hard to match and hoping with all that’s been done, I can get a few good years out of it. The main thing I worry is not much Ford does is an update that resolves the issue. They seem to be kicking the can down the road. Most people have had numerous repairs done but it’s the same parts replaced so it’s highly possible it will happen again.

See the post I just made for an update. I’m curious about the VVT actuator (was hard to understand him, that’s probably not the correct acronym), he was also discussing the cam phasers and turbos. Holy crap this is quite the list!!!

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems the protocol for Ford is to update the engine system software first and see if the cam phaser noise goes away. Usually it doesn’t and then they replace the phasers but have seen posts where they jump on it right away or some have the customer drive a few days and if not gone come back for the repair. Sounds like it’s up to the dealer. Fingers crossed they fix everything for you since hopefully you should have a pretty well running vehicle if they do.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems the protocol for Ford is to update the engine system software first and see if the cam phaser noise goes away. Usually it doesn’t and then they replace the phasers but have seen posts where they jump on it right away or some have the customer drive a few days and if not gone come back for the repair. Sounds like it’s up to the dealer. Fingers crossed they fix everything for you since hopefully you should have a pretty well running vehicle if they do.
Funny thing is that I didn't really complain about cam phaser noise. I don't really have any valvetrain clatter upon startup, but I do have constant rattling from the wastegates, all the time, at idle. I'm going to let them "do their thing" to see what they come up with. If they decide to do cam phasers, that's fine, as ultimately I'm sure they'll need replacing anyway.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tuesday Update.

Needs Cam Phaser repair, so that's authorized but they cannot locate coolant leak (it's had UV dye in it for 9 months)........it is NOT leaking externally, which means it's either a blown head gasket, or ??? UGH!

Team_Z

Reaction score
Tuesday Update.

Needs Cam Phaser repair, so that's authorized but they cannot locate coolant leak (it's had UV dye in it for 9 months)........it is NOT leaking externally, which means it's either a blown head gasket, or ??? UGH!
Personally, if you didn’t complain about the cam phasers I would not let them do it. It could be a tech taking advantage that ford will just replace. I used to be a Service Manager/Director for Ford and I caught some techs doing this. Several times causing the customer to come back complaining they now had the cam phaser issue rattle that they never had before.

Turbo vehicles tend to go through more coolant, not through a leak but through evap. But this just depends on how much coolant you’re adding and how often. The harder you drive the more likely you can walk past the front and smell coolant. It’s the res cap releasing vapor from the system. Most people don’t drive these hard so it’s mostly a non issue but again depends on how much you’re adding. If you’re burning it you will definitely smell it and see it out the exhaust. Mercedes is better known for I need to add coolant but I don’t have a leak. I finally had an AMG engineer explain where our coolant was going on my GLS63, and it makes sense. I drive my ecoboost extremely hard, and dealer has only topped me off 1 time. Added some royal purple ICE and haven’t been topped off since so I think that helped.

I guess I’m a lucky guy with only having 1 truck with the cam phaser issue smd trans problem. The rest have been driven hard for 50k and then traded in without any issues. I just clocked 21k on my 21 a year later and no issues! I drive this Exp like a truck.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, if you didn’t complain about the cam phasers I would not let them do it. It could be a tech taking advantage that ford will just replace. I used to be a Service Manager/Director for Ford and I caught some techs doing this. Several times causing the customer to come back complaining they now had the cam phaser issue rattle that they never had before.

Turbo vehicles tend to go through more coolant, not through a leak but through evap. But this just depends on how much coolant you’re adding and how often. The harder you drive the more likely you can walk past the front and smell coolant. It’s the res cap releasing vapor from the system. Most people don’t drive these hard so it’s mostly a non issue but again depends on how much you’re adding. If you’re burning it you will definitely smell it and see it out the exhaust. Mercedes is better known for I need to add coolant but I don’t have a leak. I finally had an AMG engineer explain where our coolant was going on my GLS63, and it makes sense. I drive my ecoboost extremely hard, and dealer has only topped me off 1 time. Added some royal purple ICE and haven’t been topped off since so I think that helped.

I guess I’m a lucky guy with only having 1 truck with the cam phaser issue smd trans problem. The rest have been driven hard for 50k and then traded in without any issues. I just clocked 21k on my 21 a year later and no issuesWe've never h
We've never had a "low coolant" light come on, but the reservoir has been low several times, and we've added a total of 1-1.5 gallons of premix over the last 14,000 miles. I drive my other vehicles hard, but this one is mostly mom's carpool vehicle :)

Team_Z

Reaction score
We've never had a "low coolant" light come on, but the reservoir has been low several times, and we've added a total of 1-1.5 gallons of premix over the last 14,000 miles. I drive my other vehicles hard, but this one is mostly mom's carpool vehicle :)
1-1.5 is excessive especially for carpooling. Unless your mom is a huge Ricky Bobby fan there may be an issue. Keep track of the miles date and quantity of coolant added. I have seen 1-2 vehicles that purged themselves through a gallon of coolant before we (dealer) finally stopped adding coolant. Think it took around 8k miles. Both times the vehicle had been flushed elsewhere, one independent shop and one dealer.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1-1.5 is excessive especially for carpooling. Unless your mom is a huge Ricky Bobby fan there may be an issue. Keep track of the miles date and quantity of coolant added. I have seen 1-2 vehicles that purged themselves through a gallon of coolant before we (dealer) finally stopped adding coolant. Think it took around 8k miles. Both times the vehicle had been flushed elsewhere, one independent shop and one dealer.
We topped it off when we bought it CPO with 60k miles. It was low again at 65k, and we had to add 1/2 gallon on vacation at 68/69k miles.