Going to mock up a dashpod for an Android head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just replace the whole head unit instead of tacking on another in front of the Sync? They sell units that come with can bus adapters and such so you keep your steering wheel buttons, dims with headlights, etc...
There are single DIN and dual DIN depending on the one you're removing. Most are 7" screens because that's the width of a normal DIN unit. Worst case you have to fabricate a small trim panel to cover any gaps, vs custom wiring and custom mount.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just replace the whole head unit instead of tacking on another in front of the Sync? They sell units that come with can bus adapters and such so you keep your steering wheel buttons, dims with headlights, etc...
There are single DIN and dual DIN depending on the one you're removing. Most are 7" screens because that's the width of a normal DIN unit. Worst case you have to fabricate a small trim panel to cover any gaps, vs custom wiring and custom mount.

Unfortunately the 2015+ are far more complicated than that or I would.
I looked into getting the 8" trim and switching to the new HVAC and putting a new head unit in there.
Unfortunately there are zero vehicle adaption harnesses available for the 15+ models. If you are aware of one please let me know.
Now that the HVAC module is tied into the system complicates things.
A company has made a work around for the F150s and uses a 12'' Tesla style screen that also incorporates the HVAC controls.

http://www.linkswellinc.com/products/t-style-radio/ts-fdpu12-1rr-8-t-style-ford-f-150-12-1-system/

Unfortunately they have been unsuccessful in getting this to work with Expeditions due to not being able to control the rear HVAC.

I don't have the time needed nor am I by any means savvy enough to go hacking up the factory harness and getting something to work. Wish I was but electronics is far from my wheelhouse.
A simple piggyback system why not as seamless as I would like will yield me the results I am looking for with at this point only loosing steering wheel controls. Though dependent on what I can find with the wiring may be able to pull it off with just tapping into the harness and not hacking it to pieces.

I am looking for something easily reversible if I run into an unexpected snag. So for me that means no cutting of the factory harness.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
post a pic of your center stack (sync and HVAC) I'll see what's available. I hadn't thought about the screen controlled HVAC previously, I know the older ones like mine its all separate and very easy, sorry.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a video showing what is needed to go from 4”-8”

Shows the differences in the panels and that there is a lone connection for HVAC controls and physical buttons for the sync system.

I sure wish it was separated like the earlier models. Would make life much easier.

Oddly enough I just came across this listing that says F150 and Expedition but is clearly for an F150.
https://www.seicane.com/head-unit-c...bluetooth-3g-wifi-support-swc-3-zone-pop-c267

But if you read the broken English responses to questions they state it will not fit Expeditions.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So could you in theory (just talking out loud here) relocate or duplicate the rear physical HVAC controls on the console to the front of the truck somewhere and forgo it on the touch screen? Frankly I dislike having to push push push buttons and go through menus to adjust the rear HVAC on the screen. A physical control like is on the rear of the console would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So could you in theory (just talking out loud here) relocate or duplicate the rear physical HVAC controls on the console to the front of the truck somewhere and forgo it on the touch screen? Frankly I dislike having to push push push buttons and go through menus to adjust the rear HVAC on the screen. A physical control like is on the rear of the console would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That I do not know. It sounded as if all rear control of HVAC was lost both from front dash controls and rear controls.
All the wiring and control module differences is well beyond my knowledge.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unit arrived today.
Going to start working on the dashpod this weekend and my home 12v power supply should arrive any day now so I can start fooling with the unit itself.
Was thinking VHT wrinkle paint but came across some faux textured leather vinyl wrap that looks similar to the pattern on the top of the dash and armrest so think I will give that a try first.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The panel under the dash won’t allow me to recess the unit vertically into the dash. The unit sticks above the dash about 2.5” because of the panel the HVAC module is mounted to.
0C5A8EA8-6AC6-403E-A184-6243337C63B8.jpeg
This is a 7.1” screen unit which will likely be ideal. Does not take up much room on the dash. Picture makes it seem that way since I am right up on it. Did not trust my 3 year old helping hand to hold it while I climbed in the back to take a picture.
C909FC39-0DC4-4EF8-A44E-1523FBB74404.jpeg

Grabbed some MDF board today and hope to start making something.
There is plenty of room for hinges to get it to fold flat just need to figure out how to get it to work right.
Also going to try to grab a dash tray from a model with the center speaker to clean up the dash a little since the unit is not very deep.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was going to use my circular saw and rotozip to cut the MDF but think an orbital jigsaw will give me a smoother cut using straight edge guide.
Don’t have one so guess I’ll pick one up and get back to work.
6CED9243-44AD-4DDF-B863-CD335D9D0839.jpeg
247BD88F-D3CC-43FC-8947-7F1E128D19E0.jpeg
Not sure why the file uploaded has started flipping pictures sideways. Noticed someone else’s thread it was flipping them upside down.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
276D7654-CA78-4CE5-BB18-498CB61B8DC9.jpeg For $100 this thing is pretty responsive.
It is supposed to have an miniSD card slot for expandable memory as it only has 16 gbs and I for the life of me can’t find it.
That will be an issue as more apps are installed.

I have it hooked to my Yamaha amp and Pioneer speakers in my shop and the audio quality is equal to any other input I have had in this setup.
Streaming Amazon music at the moment and quality is really good.
I’ll get some FLAC files loaded to a USB to try out some lossless audio.

Trying to learn about Android and one is supposed to be able to mess with the home screen pretty good but haven’t figured that out besides wallpaper change.
Supposed to be able to adjust widgets and the like.