Good day ruined

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpySport

Reaction score
Depending on how dead the battery was and how far a drive you have back home, you may be fine letting the alternator recharge the battery. If you have a short trip, I'd put a battery charger on it overnight and see if the battery recovers. I've done the same thing before (forgetting to turn lights off), and after a 45 minute ride home, I was fine and that battery lasted me a good 5 years after that.

jwc9

Reaction score
Unless you have a charger and electricity where it is drive it home. Only down side is this will shorten the life of the altenator and it will not fully charge a dead battery but not enough that most people would notice. Where you run into trouble is if you did this over and over and then you would burn out the altenator. Dead battries in a perfect world should always be charged with a charger. But the world is not perfect.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that sux. for some reason i always drain my battery. usually cleaning my truck or fixing the wiring for my amp or what ever and have to use the radio. then i always get close to where it starts up but with a little grunting at first or i completely drain it and let it sit on a charger for an hour and start it up. then i go and park and the battery is charged. shouldnt take to long for the alt to charge it. just give it about 10-15 mins for safety.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chimming in.

Let the alternator charge it if possible. After a weeks time take it to a parts place. most will do a free check on battery and alternator output. go from there.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a trickle charger if you have one, depending on how old your battery is, it should still be good for awhile. It will be better to charge it up slowly with a trickle charger than to let the alternator charge it up quickly.