Good things ARE coming our way from ICON Vehicle Dynamics, or so they say

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
EDIT - Okay, Scratch most of this, Just read some other threads that I must have previously missed, sorry for being redundant..

I only asked about rears in regard to the 07 like Adventure Driven’s but the rears are identical across the board for the 07-17s Expedition so it won’t make a difference.

Are they?? Everything I was finding makes it seems like there is a difference in the '15-'17 models rear suspension. Maybe it is minor, I'm not clear, but Bilstein offers replacement shocks up to MY 2014, but not for '15-17 MY, for example. I wrote to Stage 3 Motorsports at one point asking about rear shock options and was told there were 'significant' differences in the rear suspension, and that the shocks from the earlier 3rd generation trucks will not fit?

Q_bubble.jpg I'm assuming from the description that these will not work on the 2015-17 Expeditions, curious why not if so, given the minimal changes, and what other quality shock options are available for the '15-'17 models? Thanks..

A_bubble.jpg The rear suspension and driveline of the 2015-2018 Expeditions actually changed quite a bit to handle the extra output from the 3.5L EcoBoost, which caused issues with shock fitment. Unfortunately, Bilstein does not currently have replacement shock options for the later Expedition Models.

Also doesn't seem to be a Rancho quick-lift available for the '15-'17 unless I missed it. Appears it is only available for '07-'12 MY Expeditions?

No doubt there is a need for a good quality lift option for the expeditions, so hopefully ICON will offer kits for both versions. I was also wondering if there work with Adventure Driven would lead to a kit, but had kind of given up hope to be honest. So thanks for the heads-up..

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stage3s answer is pretty uneducated. The driveline in unchanged from 07-17 Expeditions using the same transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, 9.75” gearset and diff, etc. There are Zero driveline differences. I believe Ford changed the mounting locations on shocks on 2014’ model year trucks. 07-13’ is one suspension style and 14-17’ another. 2018 suspension is totally different than a 2017 as well.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are they?? Everything I was finding makes it seems like there is a difference in the '15-'17 models rear suspension. Maybe it is minor, I'm not clear, but Bilstein offers replacement shocks up to MY 2014, but not for '15-17 MY, for example. I wrote to Stage 3 Motorsports at one point asking about rear shock options and was told there were 'significant' differences in the rear suspension, and that the shocks from the earlier 3rd generation trucks will not fit?

Q_bubble.jpg I'm assuming from the description that these will not work on the 2015-17 Expeditions, curious why not if so, given the minimal changes, and what other quality shock options are available for the '15-'17 models? Thanks..

A_bubble.jpg The rear suspension and driveline of the 2015-2018 Expeditions actually changed quite a bit to handle the extra output from the 3.5L EcoBoost, which caused issues with shock fitment. Unfortunately, Bilstein does not currently have replacement shock options for the later Expedition Models.

Also doesn't seem to be a Rancho quick-lift available for the '15-'17 unless I missed it. Appears it is only available for '07-'12 MY Expeditions?

No doubt there is a need for a good quality lift option for the expeditions, so hopefully ICON will offer kits for both versions. I was also wondering if there work with Adventure Driven would lead to a kit, but had kind of given up hope to be honest. So thanks for the heads-up..

The only difference is that the 2015-2017s have the lower spring perch attached to the shock body.
The original 04-14 models had a removable lower spring perch. If you buy a new Ford unit for 04-14 you get the new unit with the lower spring perch model that is the same part number as the 15-17.
I have been unable to locate older OEM removable spring perches.
So you can take the lower spring perch off your OEM 15-17 unit (yup you have to cut and destroy the shock to do this) or dependent upon how good your local NAPA guy is they can super special order the spring perches for you.

I have pretty much written off Stage3motorsports, I have contacted them on numerous occasions in regard to Expedition suspension inquires and they did not even bother to respond.

If you are interested in the research I and a couple others have done on this topic to date take a look at these threads:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...l-shock-update-things-are-looking-good.36631/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bilsteins-installed-on-my-17-limited.36886/#post-315003

Zero Offset

Reaction score
That specific combination likely so.
Though there are a bunch of spacer height options available that coupled with the Ranchos will keep you under 3”
Thanks, makes sense. Man, that would be awesome to be able to have a 4"/3.5" lift though but I'm sure that would require a ton of other mods to be safe.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seeming more and more like Stage 3 doesn't have quite the level of expertise they purport themselves to be..

Thanks to "Black" and all others that have been digging in and finding the answers..

tbone1004

Reaction score
now we just need one of them to come out with some sort of air adjustable coilover so we can get load leveling of some variety, even if it's manual....

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seeming more and more like Stage 3 doesn't have quite the level of expertise they purport themselves to be..

Thanks to "Black" and all others that have been digging in and finding the answers..

Email customer service is usually Rajeev from Mumbai, who also handles a few other firms... which might just be gluten-free hipster ice cream and ladies' knickers made out of organic hemp.... and, chances are, he never even made it to middle school...

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stage3s answer is pretty uneducated. The driveline in unchanged from 07-17 Expeditions using the same transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, 9.75” gearset and diff, etc. There are Zero driveline differences. I believe Ford changed the mounting locations on shocks on 2014’ model year trucks. 07-13’ is one suspension style and 14-17’ another. 2018 suspension is totally different than a 2017 as well.

Reminds me of trailer company I contacted about towing related items. They said the didn’t list Expedition in their pages because they didn’t list any SUVs with less than 3500 lbs towing.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reminds me of trailer company I contacted about towing related items. They said the didn’t list Expedition in their pages because they didn’t list any SUVs with less than 3500 lbs towing.

Lol my sports sedan is rated to tow more than that

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol my sports sedan is rated to tow more than that

I replied to them that the Expedition is based on the F-150 for transmission and engine, but different rear axle and provided a link to the Ford towing info. Not naming them because they apologized and said they would look into updating it. I had been engaged in a flight of what if - applied for a job out of state and comparing buying a box trailer to cost of renting a moving vehicle. The cost was similar for a one way move and gave me the use of the trailer after the move. (California - Wyoming)