Google Pixel 6 Pro charging issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Charging issues went away for me, Pixel 7 Pro charged fine wired and now the Pixel 8 Pro charges well too.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No issues with my old P6P or current P7P. Either wireless or wired. I've never tried the USB-C port in the truck though. Only use the old style USB.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
Have you tried swapping out the cable? Also, Android Auto can be a bit of a battery hog, but it shouldn't be that extreme. Maybe check for any runaway apps in the background? On a side note, I was scrolling through some tech forums and stumbled upon this interesting topic about Pixel charging. Some users recommended trying a different charger or checking for dust in the charging port. Oh, and by the way, have you considered exploring the possibility of upgrading to a newer device? Decided to sell your iPad Pro for a good deal and it helped fund you latest tech obsession.This way you can definitely solve all your problems.
I have issues with Amazon music app, it becomes unresponsive on the phone and starts using a ton of battery.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are using the wireless charger, get yourself a USB fan to keep the phone cool. The charging will stop if the phone or charger gets too hot, and this is a very common issue. Just a warning, this particular fan is loud. Unfortunately the good manufacturer (Arctic) discontinued theirs.

If you are using USB, buy yourself a USB PD charger. The sockets in the vehicle is underpowered.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my wife has a 6 Pro (I have a 6a), but we have a '19 Exp limited. The 19 Expy only has 1 amp USB A, which slow charges. her phone barely fits in the wireless pocket so we don't use it much. I put an Anker PD dual USB C charge plug in one of the cigar outlets, she uses that to charge.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my wife has a 6 Pro (I have a 6a), but we have a '19 Exp limited. The 19 Expy only has 1 amp USB A, which slow charges. her phone barely fits in the wireless pocket so we don't use it much. I put an Anker PD dual USB C charge plug in one of the cigar outlets, she uses that to charge.
I really don't get why these manufacturers don't put USB-PD ports in the vehicles, but just include trash ones that no one wants to use... It kind of sucks, but at least Ford offers 12V outlets. You should see the Chevy Suburban and GMC Yukon. They literally only have 1 outlet in a relatively inaccessible area in the entire vehicle (the newer pickups don't even have 1). The GM engineers thought the crappy USB ports would be enough apparently.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
USB C PD is a fairly new thing. And, with a PD port, there's a wide range of possible maximum watts, like while almost all PD ports can do, say, 18 watts, only some do 35 watts, and even fewer go to like 60-80 watts such as many newer laptops use. In fact, I believe over 35W, the spec says there has to be a captive power cord, you can't have a USB C output socket at those wattages, because the typical USB C cable can't handle that sort of power safely.

Last edited:

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
USB C PD is a fairly new thing. And, with a PD port, there's a wide range of possible maximum watts, like while almost all PD ports can do, say, 18 watts, only some do 35 watts, and even fewer go to like 60-80 watts such as many newer laptops use. In fact, I believe over 35W, the spec says there has to be a captive power cord, you can't have a USB C output socket at those wattages, because the typical USB C cable can't handle that sort of power safely.
The cable needs an e-marker chip for 67W+ I believe, but still outputting the higher wattage is safe as if you insert a cable without the e-marker chip, it would just output the lower voltage/current. I think the manufacturers don't include it because such a setup costs them more money as now they have to build a heat sink for the power transformer that takes your 12v power from the battery and steps it up to 20v-28v when a device calls for it.