Wireless Charging Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyR0206

Reaction score
Hello All.

I have a 2022 Limited with wireless charging. I took it on a long trip this past weekend. On the way home, I disabled CarPlay and put my iPhone 14 in the wireless charger with 76% charge on the battery. After almost 9 hours in the car, and making two phone calls equaling about 10 minutes of talk time-the battery was at 74% when I pulled into my driveway. I checked the "battery charging" display frequently to see if the phone was charging or not, which it always was. I have a MagSafe OtterBox case on the phone. I guess my question is, is anyone else encountering an issue with the wireless charging? Would the phone case hinder the charging capabilities? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

rpw2021

Reaction score
Phone cases - depending on how thick and whether they have a magnet that aligns with the MagSafe on your iPhone -- can definitely interfere with charging.

My guess is that your phone was connected to the wireless charger, but the case or maybe the alignment of the phone meant that the charging was very very slow.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The charging is low voltage and slow.

Simply remove your case. on your next drive and see how it charges.

XeBeast

Reaction score
my iPhone 14 Pro Max with otterbox case won't charge on the wireless charger. maybe if I took the case off.

Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. Have a wireless charger on my desk that does the same, mid day I take the case off and charging speed significantly increases.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The phone case does slow it down but overall the Ford wireless charger seems to be much weaker than other cars I’ve used.

01f1502wd

Reaction score
I've got a 13pro with an urban armor case that charges pretty quick. Did the wireless carplay dongle in the '21 so I don't have a cable to worry about.

DurhamHusker

Reaction score
Wireless charging is inefficient in the first place and that loss in efficiency ends up generating lots of heat. In order to get rid of that heat, you need set your phone someplace that's well ventilated. That little well in the console is most certainly NOT well ventilated. Thankfully, most phones will stop charging if they get too hot. If they didn't, it'd kill the lifespan of your battery.

I'm not sure how other car companies do it, but Ford's wireless-charger-in-a-box is a horrible, horrible design. Even with the lid open, mine tends to get super hot. I suppose your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience. I've tried a number of different phones in there over the 5 years I've had my '18.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Wireless charging is inefficient in the first place and that loss in efficiency ends up generating lots of heat. In order to get rid of that heat, you need set your phone someplace that's well ventilated. That little well in the console is most certainly NOT well ventilated. Thankfully, most phones will stop charging if they get too hot. If they didn't, it'd kill the lifespan of your battery.

I'm not sure how other car companies do it, but Ford's wireless-charger-in-a-box is a horrible, horrible design. Even with the lid open, mine tends to get super hot. I suppose your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience. I've tried a number of different phones in there over the 5 years I've had my '18.
I second that, my 2019 charging well is a impossible bad design. My Samsung S22 in a Otter box will only fit with a lot of fumbling and if I manage to locate it on the pad, It’s fingernail braking bad to remove. Charging is then a hit or miss. When attached to the USB port there is no way to set the phone upright As the cable outlet on the phone is on the bottom. I am working now on modifying and old cell phone holder with a suction cup to insert in the cavity and forget about wireless charging.