Got home with an engine code. 2012 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Another happy return home. 5.4l Triton with 197,000 miles has P0365 and P0369. Rough idle, wants to die. Sounds fine and has plenty of power when driving just sounds like cam phasers and death at idle until it actually dies. I’m going to scour the internet but figured I’d ask in case anyone knows. Thanks!

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank
Reaction score
Update, kept seeing that a bad battery could possssssibly be a little bit possibly causing the problem. So I hooked it up to a jump pack and the CEL was gone and it sounded great. Maybe I’ll try again in the morning. Hopefully it is just the battery.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All these electronics do weird stuff with a weak battery. Glad it was an easy fix.
All of the currently manufactured lead / acid batteries will not take a single complete discharge without complete failure. New vehicles overloaded with electronics coupled with traditional lead / acid battery storage that is not as good as 10 years ago has us running around circles trying to figure out what is wrong with our new or nearly new vehicles.

As an engineer, I would think that as significant electrical loads are added to vehicles - a good deal of which does not shut off when the vehicle is "turned off" (a mis-nonminer, because they no longer do that) - there would be better battery storage and draw management.

Evidently the best our friends at Ford and other auto manufacturers can come up with are devices that measure the current draw and as capacity wains, the system shuts down what it considers less important vehicle functions without any notification to the operator of what these are and what the operator can expect to no longer function. CRAZY!

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank
Reaction score
All of the currently manufactured lead / acid batteries will not take a single complete discharge without complete failure. New vehicles overloaded with electronics coupled with traditional lead / acid battery storage that is not as good as 10 years ago has us running around circles trying to figure out what is wrong with our new or nearly new vehicles.

As an engineer, I would think that as significant electrical loads are added to vehicles - a good deal of which does not shut off when the vehicle is "turned off" (a mis-nonminer, because they no longer do that) - there would be better battery storage and draw management.

Evidently the best our friends at Ford and other auto manufacturers can come up with are devices that measure the current draw and as capacity wains, the system shuts down what it considers less important vehicle functions without any notification to the operator of what these are and what the operator can expect to no longer function. CRAZY!
Does AGM (I think that’s the battery type in my new F150) have a better survival rate in harsh swings of weather? I sit 2-5 times a week for an hour in the Expedition watching Bluey on the DVD player in it with my kids while waiting to pick up from school or dr appointments. Maybe this interstate brand battery is the real problem?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does AGM (I think that’s the battery type in my new F150) have a better survival rate in harsh swings of weather? I sit 2-5 times a week for an hour in the Expedition watching Bluey on the DVD player in it with my kids while waiting to pick up from school or dr appointments. Maybe this interstate brand battery is the real problem?
In reality, there are only 3 or 4 led acid battery manufacturers in the USA. Of the 50 or so brands out there, the majority are just different labels on the same product. I've 2 had experiences recent years, where relatively new MotorCraft batteries (1.8 and 3 Y/O) were discharged (left radar detector on in 1 case and battery tender off / vehicle unused for 45 days in the other) and both batteries would not take a jump or charge.

I'm super careful these days about making sure everything is turned off and if I'm not going to use a vehicle for 2 weeks or longer, it is on a battery tender.
Search my name and the word battery and you will see lots of discussion on the subject.

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank
Reaction score
Sweet, thank you. My wife and I drive them almost daily. The F150 gets driven maybe 3 days a week sometimes and is still fine. It has a Motocraft AGM battery