Ham radio installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
They make a police version of this truck, so people like Havis make console inserts to house radios and sirens for police equipment. They may be more than you were looking for since they tend to replace the entire console armrest with a radio head rack. Google "Expedition radio console" and look at the pictures. I like your ideas better, they are far less intrusive and don't make you look like an cop wannabe.

Eddie

Clif Keely

Reaction score
I found enough space under the driver seat to cut a piece of 12 x 12 aluminum bending a 90 Deg. as a kick protection and a 45 Degree on the opposite side, the 45 deflects the under seat air below the mounting plate. Another piece about 4 x 8 bent up to provide the mounting flange for the control head. then pushing it back under the dash center and just above the pen tray ahead of the shifter, adding a couple of small clear cupboard rubber bunpers hold it in place. My problem is finding an easy place to pick up a 15 Amp 12 VDC connection that will not have a negitave effect on something else. As to the antenna I guess I will need to bite the bullet and put one of the power fold over bases mounting to a roof rack rail. Any input you might have for the power or the antenna would be appreciated. Clif

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you have a higher trim than XLT there is a 12(?) gauge hot wire under the left rocker panel chase going to the bass amplifier in the left rear quarter. It's clean power. Otherwise you have to run something from the fuse that's normally used for it.

Clif Keely

Reaction score
I used a 4 inch wide piece of Aluminum bent to a desirable angle sliding between the console and the dash. I put 3 plastic adhesive backed cupboard door bumpers to help hold it. The Mic lays in the tray below the head. I used a power tapping fuse adapter for power. the cabling slipped under the console on the driver side with the radio body on an aluminum bridge under the driver seat, and held with dime sized dabs black silicone. My problem is getting from there to the roof and in particular pulling the plastic pillar trim off. How did you do?

Reaction score
View attachment 22396 View attachment 22397

Motorola APX7500 110w dual band vhf/uhf with the control head center console mounted, just remove and save the plastic cover plate. There is metal to mount to.

All antennas NMO roof mounts plus the modem antenna. A Motorola XPR5550 uhf has a handheld control head, another APX7500 uhf/7/800 also has a handheld control head. The main radio vhf/uhf with a mobile repeater is under the right rear passenger seat. The other APX & XPR stack is under the center rear seat. The cell/wifi modem is under the left rear passenger seat. The Micom HF radio when used just sits in the cargo bay behind the rear passenger seat.
That looks fantastic! I’m looking for spots to install a Midland GMRS radio along with a location based GPS Scanner and also want a look similar to factory. Still trying to figure it out myself. Does that plastic part you removed just pop off? That might be a great spot for at least one of my radios. Also, is there any room below that plastic cubby tray to perhaps angle mount a deeper radio back into that spot? Love what your doing and I’ll share my photos when I finally get mine done on my white 2015 EL Limited.