Has anyone tried one of these vaults yet, on an Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get it, just that as I had understood it, it has to be in your possession at all times or at home... maybe I misread.. Florida rules are weird...

Talk about weird,
In the commonwealth of Virginia they have open carry.
In the vehicle (without concealed permit) you can have your firearm (on your side open carry) in a closed compartment doesn't have to be locked (or even have a lock) and can be loaded. fully legal.
Now if you have it under the seat or beside the seat or in the seat next to you you better have a concealed permit.

Nalvenin

Reaction score
Talk about weird,
In the commonwealth of Virginia they have open carry.
In the vehicle (without concealed permit) you can have your firearm (on your side open carry) in a closed compartment doesn't have to be locked (or even have a lock) and can be loaded. fully legal.
Now if you have it under the seat or beside the seat or in the seat next to you you better have a concealed permit.

That's really weird.. when i lived in Texas, it was the same... open carry but had to be visible to an officer if you got stopped

retired_chemist

Reaction score
I have the Console Vault for my 2019 model. As above have said, good for PO visits and keeping cash handy. I also keep the registration papers it it. If the vehicle is stolen and the perp can't produce a registration to match his license, and has no idea who owns the vehicle, then red flags should fly. Traveling cross country two years ago it was my "bank" when I needed cash.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I just really like that this one is only about half or 2/3rds of the console, leaving the rest usable. As others have stated, its anytime I can't keep it with me, and for extra ammo. State of CO is also open carry, only used that a few times. But to me, locking it up is much better, and even though the center console and glove box lock, fumbling around with the fob to try and unlock it isn't great. Just for comfort reasons, I don't always drive with it on (especially long drives) as I'm generally an in the waistband holder. I also have young kids, so responsibly locking things up is key. I still wish some of these were biometric (with a key for backup) or something, for even faster access - think carjacking...

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get one that doesn’t specifically say that it fits your year Expedition.

I bought a similar one for my 2014 thinking that since the interior of my friends 2011 F150 looks identical (yet we recently measured its 3” wider) it would also fit my console. Nope. So I sold it to him and took a little bit of a loss on it.

I had a steel locking box that I fastened to the console of my 2000. That worked great. I need to figure out something for my 2014. The Console Vault looks nice, but I also like the idea of not having the entire console taken up by the vault.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly my hesitation, but was still just curious if anyone here had tried one. The kids are getting older so the glove box isn't going to suffice soon, just trying to research ahead of time.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just need someone that owns both an F150 and a 4th Gen Expy to buy one so if it doesn't fit the Expy, that they can use it in the F150. I have a 4th Gen Expy and an F350, so not confident it would fit in either of my consoles.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score