Has anyone seen or made a storage tray for this colossal waste of prime space? Also, Forscan the best way to disable auto stop start still?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure why one would want easy access to their phone while driving, for both safety and moving violation reasons. Especially when there's a nice padded compartment for the phone that has wireless charging, USB ports, and you can access maps/phone/etc from CarPlay or Android on a nice big dash screen.
I'm not sure why someone would be not sure why someone would want access to their phone, glasses, pens, chew toys, burgers, etc. while driving. Likewise, I'm not sure why someone would need access to a big SUV when a Toyota Corolla can get you to and from work ok... /s

People like access to their things. That slot, not on the higher end models, but available on the XLT is very hand for The Things.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put drawer liner on that area and I let me key sit there. I hate that gigantic POS in my pocket, so I let it in the car. Doesn't scratch it all up with that drawer liner on it.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone thought to find out if there is anything under there? Todays vehicles have so any electronic devices that require their own ECUs that they take up a lot of space. I see it even on my newer motorcycles.

Don't just assume there is empty space under there.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone thought to find out if there is anything under there? Todays vehicles have so any electronic devices that require their own ECUs that they take up a lot of space. I see it even on my newer motorcycles.

Don't just assume there is empty space under there.
There is some electronics under the console, clearly, but there's also a lot of space. The console is relatively easy to 'snap out' (added some cables to the 12 outlet in the console itself). Maybe a 3D printed removable 'slot' to allow a phone to drop in? Obviously requires a bit of engineering work...

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
I'm not sure why one would want easy access to their phone while driving, for both safety and moving violation reasons. Especially when there's a nice padded compartment for the phone that has wireless charging, USB ports, and you can access maps/phone/etc from CarPlay or Android on a nice big dash screen.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that most people want easy access to their phones while they are driving is because a) it’s convenient for them, b) they don’t think they are being unsafe, and c) they don’t care about a violation because most states don’t aggressively enforce it. And even in the states that do, it’s still very easy to use the phone without getting pulled over. The chance of a ticket is slim to none, unless they are completely engrossed in the phone and oblivious to their surroundings, and at that point they well deserve a ticket.

As far as the padded compartment, I rarely use it because it overheats my iPhone. Plus, if I put it in there I’ll probably forget to grab it when I leave the car.

And most importantly, how am I going to get to the next level in Angry Birds if my phone is hidden down in that secret compartment while I’m driving?!!!

But thank you for your one-man crusade against texting and driving. We all know the world is now a better place with your added contribution here on the Expedition forum. You truly deserve Captain America’s shield.

josedirte4

Reaction score
I think the OP makes a great point. I also wondered why they got rid of that slot. The padded area for the wireless charger is honestly very tight getting the phone in and out of especially with the sizes of cell phones these day. Also, the wireless charger is useless if you have a newer iPhone with a bigger camera bump. It rarely works on mine not to mention is not good for the battery since it heats up the phone excessively. I'd say 99% of people have phone cases which adds more bulk to the camera bump. Either way, I don't think he was saying he wants that slot so he could be on his phone when driving, but more or less if you're at a stop sign, it's much easier to use your phone to text verses Carplay. I think wireless Carplay wasn't made available until the 2022 models either. So us older model owners don't get those same benefits. I think if I had wireless Carplay, it wouldn't bother me as much, but without it the only spot I could find to place my phone, keep it plugged in, and that's somewhat hidden are the slots on the side of the center console.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But thank you for your one-man crusade against texting and driving. We all know the world is now a better place with your added contribution here on the Expedition forum. You truly deserve Captain America’s shield.
The 22-yr-old who mowed down and killed four 18-20 yr-old college girls this week along PCH in Malibu was texting while he was driving. I doubt the parents of those girls would find your comments very amusing.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the OP makes a great point. I also wondered why they got rid of that slot. The padded area for the wireless charger is honestly very tight getting the phone in and out of especially with the sizes of cell phones these day. Also, the wireless charger is useless if you have a newer iPhone with a bigger camera bump. It rarely works on mine not to mention is not good for the battery since it heats up the phone excessively. I'd say 99% of people have phone cases which adds more bulk to the camera bump. Either way, I don't think he was saying he wants that slot so he could be on his phone when driving, but more or less if you're at a stop sign, it's much easier to use your phone to text verses Carplay. I think wireless Carplay wasn't made available until the 2022 models either. So us older model owners don't get those same benefits. I think if I had wireless Carplay, it wouldn't bother me as much, but without it the only spot I could find to place my phone, keep it plugged in, and that's somewhat hidden are the slots on the side of the center console.
I added a magnetic holder to the 'coin holder'. Required a bit of butchery to put a piece of metal to attach a clamp-on magnetic holder. It can even be replaced with a wireless charger mount. A cable runs down and under the center console, and through to the USB ports next to the almost-inaccessible wireless charger. It keeps it just below the air vent but easily within reach. The steering wheel blocks the view, a bit, so seeing the directions (for example) can be a bit of a pain. It'd be nicer if it was higher, but it's going to block something.