Upgrade OEM stereo head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

athensdawgs81

Reaction score
Another option, if you just want (much) better sound and don't mind the existing factory head unit:

I thought about that, but I hate the factory unit with every fiber of my being. It doesn't even display artist/title from Bluetooth. Even in 2013 that was a common thing. Just awful! Thanks for posting the pic though. I haven't installed my system yet and didn't realize there was so room back there. I may eventually replace the factory speakers.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I hate the factory unit with every fiber of my being. It doesn't even display artist/title from Bluetooth. Even in 2013 that was a common thing. Just awful! Thanks for posting the pic though. I haven't installed my system yet and didn't realize there was so room back there. I may eventually replace the factory speakers.

Yeah I hear ya, I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle or expense of replacing the HU, especially with all of the existing integrations (steering wheel, rear seat entertainment, etc). For me it's "good enough."

The factory amps and door speakers though, are pretty weak. If you go through the expense of replacing the HU you're only going to be able to get marginally better sound out of the factory amps/speakers. Might as well replace everything at that point to make it worthwhile.

After replacing the amps and door speakers I now have the sound I wanted, much more clarity and volume. But yes, the ancient HU is less than desirable.

OP
OP
A

athensdawgs81

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya, I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle or expense of replacing the HU, especially with all of the existing integrations (steering wheel, rear seat entertainment, etc). For me it's "good enough."

The factory amps and door speakers though, are pretty weak. If you go through the expense of replacing the HU you're only going to be able to get marginally better sound out of the factory amps/speakers. Might as well replace everything at that point to make it worthwhile.

After replacing the amps and door speakers I now have the sound I wanted, much more clarity and volume. But yes, the ancient HU is less than desirable.
Did you use the pre-amp inputs on your new sub amp, or just the OEM inputs for the factory sub amp on the new one?

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use the pre-amp inputs on your new sub amp, or just the OEM inputs for the factory sub amp on the new one?
I'm not sure what you mean by pre amp vs OEM inputs. However, the only signal available is low-level from the factory head unit, so that's what I used and it works very well.

Also, the factory low-level signals were actually twisted pairs and shielded, which was a very nice surprise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

athensdawgs81

Reaction score
Question below from your post.

Rear subwoofer amplifier:
- brown/red +12v - Did you use this to power your aftermarket amp? Doesn't seem like it would be enough to power aftermarket equipment.
- black/blue chassis ground
- purple/red +6v switched - is this a power on signal? Does it come from the head unit or radio control module? I would probably convert this to a +12v power on signal from my aftermarket head unit for my application.
- purple/green low-level sub signal (+)
- green/white low-level sub signal (-) - did you just attach an RCA adaptor to these?

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
- brown/red +12v - Did you use this to power your aftermarket amp? Doesn't seem like it would be enough to power aftermarket equipment.

It's (I believe) a 10AWG copper wire, which is definitely enough for the small, efficient Kicker amp I used.

- purple/red +6v switched - is this a power on signal? Does it come from the head unit or radio control module? I would probably convert this to a +12v power on signal from my aftermarket head unit for my application.

I used it as the remote turn-on (for now) and it works with the Kicker amps, but it is not ideal. Unfortunately it does not turn on and off with the HU. It turns on and off with the ignition switch. Next time I'm bored I'll probably try to find an actual HU on/off wire, if it exists.

- green/white low-level sub signal (-) - did you just attach an RCA adaptor to these?

Yes, I cut an spliced an RCA cable into those.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@mr_dave

For the door speakers, is there another OEM amp or radio control module in the dash for them, or are they fed straight from the back of the OEM HU?
There's a small 4 channel amp directly below the head unit. The factory HU does not have any speaker-level outputs.

Last edited:

Tonka

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a while, I have a 2013 with no amp (it’s sucks!) lol. Also, it messes up now too, it takes forever to switch sources. I put in kicker door speakers last year. I’ve been looking at the pioneer, kenwood and Jvc at Best Buy. I think I’ve finally settled on the kenwood DMX8709S. All the harnesses and kits needed to get everything to work cost about 180$. I’ll be so glad when I can get it done I’m tired of this dinosaur radio lol .