Headed into the Dealer for Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I am headed into the dealer on Tuesday as my truck is officially sick. When it’s trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, there is a horrendous grinding and it has trouble actually finding the gear. It doesn’t happen all the time as it’s only when it goes from 2-3...1-3 is fine, as is 2-4/5. But 2-3 is a sh$tshow.

So. In I go and hopefully it’s nothing major. Although I kinda classify all transmission work as major.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I am headed into the dealer on Tuesday as my truck is officially sick. When it’s trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, there is a horrendous grinding and it has trouble actually finding the gear. It doesn’t happen all the time as it’s only when it goes from 2-3...1-3 is fine, as is 2-4/5. But 2-3 is a sh$tshow.

So. In I go and hopefully it’s nothing major. Although I kinda classify all transmission work as major.
I know this is a separate issue but are you affected by the recall on the tranny pin?

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is a separate issue but are you affected by the recall on the tranny pin?
Not as of yet.

And my vehicle health report shows the engine and tranny are all fine, so apparently that’s REAL reliable.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not as of yet.

And my vehicle health report shows the engine and tranny are all fine, so apparently that’s REAL reliable.
That health report probably only reads trouble codes. It sounds like your trouble isn’t computer related. I hope it’s a quick fix, I’m sure it’s highly frustrating on a brand new vehicle. Keep us posted.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

Did you get a “wrench” light?

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It also ground it’s way into reverse this morning too. So clearly a sick transmission.

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update

They just got to it even tho they've had it since Tuesday. They were unable to recreate the problem so I had to go in and do it for them. But the tech riding with me was immediately pretty sure he knew what the problem was once I recreated it...good news: not the transmission.

It sounds to him like there's a failure in the 4wd vacuum system. Apparently the hubs default to 4wd as that's seen as more useful (if the system fails they want it to default to 4wd in case you're stuck somewhere). So in 2wd the vehicles run a vacuum to hold 2wd. It sounds to him like the system is leaking somewhere so it's losing the vacuum and the hub on the front driver's side wheel is trying to engage. That's the scraping/grinding noise I'm hearing, the hub attempting to engage while moving. The system isn't showing 4wd because the transfer case is still in 2wd, it's just that individual hub trying to engage because the vacuum that holds it in 2wd is failing/failed.

So, they have to tear into the 4wd system and see where the vacuum is bleeding off, fix that, and I should be ship-shape.

Annoying, but reassuring it's not something more serious like the transmission.

I know there are some seriously mechanically-minded folks on here...if that scenario sounds reasonable, please let me know. If that sounds like hogwash, that would also be helpful to know.

Last edited: