Headlight bulb gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tk34

Reaction score
When I went to replace the headlight bulbs (2014 XLT) one side had two gaskets - a black one sitting in the bulb recess and a red one on top of that - it was a very snug fit. The other side only had a red gasket in the bulb recess. I am assuming the bulbs are original since the truck has such low mileage. Can anyone tell me if there should be a double stacked gasket or just one?

Thanks

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I went to replace the headlight bulbs (2014 XLT) one side had two gaskets - a black one sitting in the bulb recess and a red one on top of that - it was a very snug fit. The other side only had a red gasket in the bulb recess. I am assuming the bulbs are original since the truck has such low mileage. Can anyone tell me if there should be a double stacked gasket or just one?

Thanks

On my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and the headlamp bulbs changed by me - the low beam bulbs have a black circular gasket at the back of the bulb (on the lamp assembly).

The black gasket is a very tight fit and I have used silicone dielectric grease on the edges before replacing the gasket, following a bulb change.

The 2015 Limited has standard halogen bulbs (not LED or HID).

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I changed bulbs in my Mercury Monterrey a few weeks ago. I was having a very hard time getting one of the bulb back into the housing. Turns out the gasket from the first bulb was still there. Two gaskets, too tight. Remove the extra and all was good.

So you may just have a left over gasket from a previous swap that someone man-handeled into getting it to work.

OP
OP
T

tk34

Reaction score
Thanks, you're probably right, that double gasket may have been an attempt to fix a loose bulb...with one gasket it is not quite as snug as I'd like but 2 is way too tight. I might just try to slice that extra gasket in half and see what 1-1/2 feels like.