Headlight Retrofit Part 2. This time with Halo/Demon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes Looks really good. Can you explain how you did it ?
  1. Gather Parts
  2. Bake Headlight to remove clear lens
  3. Install parts
  4. Align projectors
  5. bake headlight to reinstall clear lens
  6. post pics on ExpeditionForum :)

This is how $50K truck was supposed to come from factory. Ford cheapened on some parts of vehicle. My 20 year old Lexus has prOjectors but my 2011 EL LIMITED with m.s.r.p. of almost $60K does not have go figure.
Yea I agree, this truck has the worst headlight output of any vehicle I think I've ever had... Well except for that '74 Camaro.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jason,
How are you keeping the low beams on with the highs? Did you purchase a harness or build one yourself?

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low/High are not separate. With a Projector, the H1 HID bulb is at the same brightness all of the time, regardless of whether you're in low or high. The change is in the projector cutoff shield. In low beam, the cutoff shield is in the up position, and in Hi beam the shield is pulled down to allow more light through.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low/High are not separate. With a Projector, the H1 HID bulb is at the same brightness all of the time, regardless of whether you're in low or high. The change is in the projector cutoff shield. In low beam, the cutoff shield is in the up position, and in Hi beam the shield is pulled down to allow more light through.

I understand how the projectors and HID bulb/ballasts operate, but I was under the assumption that in Fords, the low beam filament loses power while the high beam filament takes over. If this is not correct then I completely understand how it can operate, but I read elsewhere that a harness was required to accomplish this.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes I do have a Relay harness that came with the HID kit I purchased. It connects to the battery, and to the headlight wiring from the truck. It maintains power to the bulb under both hi/low conditions, it just splits the hi beam out to a second set of wires that runs the projector cutoff solenoid.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it does in my 04...but i have 2 light sources for that...i think 3rd gens are dual purpose

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a really nice job you did. I agree that the lights are awful. Even my wife thinks the High beams suck compared to our subaru (Projector lows, reflector highs).
I'm not willing to take on the job you did with the single HID projector, but want to install a set of these.
81QaH924WkL._SL1500_.jpg

Have you seen these? What do you think?
I'd power the DRL LEDs/Halos with a relay powered when the key is on. The amber signal/running light would be a yellow 3157 LED replacement.
Since both filaments are separate. I may add a relay/diode to keep the lows on with the highs.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
buy those and just add HID...
HID for the lows, Halogens for the Highs, right? So the relays to keep the lows on with the highs will be required.
I think the 35W 4000K - 5000K should be sufficient. I don't want them TOO blue.