Heater Core Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmgolden

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a video on how exactly to bypass the heater core on a 1998 Expedition? I just want be sure that I'm doing it correctly. Also my expedition has the separate controls for the rear of the vehicle. Does this mean I have 2 heater cores and if so, when I bypass the heater core will it cut off the heat to the whole vehicle? Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
G

gmgolden

Reaction score
I was thinking of bypassing it because it actually needs to be replaced, but I currently do not have the time to do the repair myself. I also do not have the money to pay a mechanic to do it. But when I do get the time to do the repair myself I'll have to drive it about 100 miles to get it in a garage where I'm comfortable workin on it over a weekend. So I know it's probably not the best thing to do, but I don't think I have much of a choice

gazbold

Reaction score
I was thinking of bypassing it because it actually needs to be replaced, but I currently do not have the time to do the repair myself. I also do not have the money to pay a mechanic to do it. But when I do get the time to do the repair myself I'll have to drive it about 100 miles to get it in a garage where I'm comfortable workin on it over a weekend. So I know it's probably not the best thing to do, but I don't think I have much of a choice

Hi
I've never actually had to remove either the front or rear core but I have flushed them out for partial blockage/restriction. Not really helpful to you I know but I did isolate one or the other by clamping off hoses to localize the flush process. I figured out which was the feed or return hose by which one was hottest (feed). You didn't mention which one you think you need to swap out ?
I found you a youtube step by step video slideshow for the front. Wow.. What a process ! Good luck if it's the front one you need changed !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa7TiLRn9oE

Didn't see anything useful on the rear core, sorry.