Help this Mamma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdragon

Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 kids of my own, fostering 2 more, a camper that weighs 6800 lbs dry weight, kids that play lots of sports, and I’m the team Gatorade Mom - lol. So we need to trade in my husbands truck for something that pull our camper, fit 8, and have room for Cargo. That means we need a Ford Expedition Max. Which one of these two would you get?
A - 2018 301A Special Edition Package with 57k+ miles for 49999
B - 2018 302A with 29k+ miles for 55999
I have 2.45% financing

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Special Edition includes the heavy duty tow package. Does the other vehicle have the heavy duty tow package?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy a 2018 model - I would suggest buying the Ford extended warranty plan. Based upon posts on this forum, the 2018 models had a lot of problems.

TammyEngland

Reaction score
Have you considered a jeep or a minivan? It seems to me that one bead will be enough for such a large family. We also have a big family, but we have five children, and one minivan is enough for us. I am the eldest child in the family, so I have helped my parents keep an eye on my younger brothers and sisters from childhood. I take my sisters to the dance by car and my brother to volleyball. The youngest of us is eight years old, and he is doing coding for kids at home. If I had to take him somewhere for training or classes, I wouldn't have time. After all, I already have four people on me...

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Special Edition includes the heavy duty tow package. Does the other vehicle have the heavy duty tow package?
If you buy a 2018 model - I would suggest buying the Ford extended warranty plan. Based upon posts on this forum, the 2018 models had a lot of problems.

Both of these are correct. You'll definitely want the HD Tow, which was included with the special edition package, and a an extended warranty as well. The 2018 model is the first year of the new model, so it had some potential issues. With 6,800 dry weight, you'll want to confirm the tongue weight of the camper using a scale. You may need empty tanks or a light/relocated battery and lighter WDH to stay within payload limits.

Knut

Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 kids of my own, fostering 2 more, a camper that weighs 6800 lbs dry weight, kids that play lots of sports, and I’m the team Gatorade Mom - lol. So we need to trade in my husbands truck for something that pull our camper, fit 8, and have room for Cargo. That means we need a Ford Expedition Max. Which one of these two would you get?
I have 2.45% financing
I know this post is a few month old. However, be careful to buy a large SUV before you see all number and are aware of what you can carry in the vehicle and tow.
I have a Expedition Max with 1796lbs payload and with 3 kids 2 adults and 2 dogs, I am pretty much at the limit of my payload and Max rear axle weight limit without anything else in the Expedition, when I hook up our TT approximately 6800lbs fully loaded.
And my payload is pretty high. Basic Max XLT no sunroof. From what I've read on it sound like you may want to look at a Van with a good towing capacity. Personally, I do not think you are going to be able to put that many people in a Max and tow a trailer legally.

Badmunky

Reaction score
I know this post is a few month old. However, be careful to buy a large SUV before you see all number and are aware of what you can carry in the vehicle and tow.
I have a Expedition Max with 1796lbs payload and with 3 kids 2 adults and 2 dogs, I am pretty much at the limit of my payload and Max rear axle weight limit without anything else in the Expedition, when I hook up our TT approximately 6800lbs fully loaded.
And my payload is pretty high. Basic Max XLT no sunroof. From what I've read on it sound like you may want to look at a Van with a good towing capacity. Personally, I do not think you are going to be able to put that many people in a Max and tow a trailer legally.
I agree.
I would suggest looking for a Suburban 2500. OR maybe an Excursion.
Given your needs and the number of people / payload you need to carry in the Vehicle and still be able to tow, and deal with tongue weight I don't think there is any version of the Expedition that is going to work for you. At least not legally. And I think you will end up with problems with it if you try since it will be over loaded.

Knut

Reaction score
I agree.
I would suggest looking for a Suburban 2500. OR maybe an Excursion.
Given your needs and the number of people / payload you need to carry in the Vehicle and still be able to tow, and deal with tongue weight I don't think there is any version of the Expedition that is going to work for you. At least not legally. And I think you will end up with problems with it if you try since it will be over loaded.
Does the Suburban have any higher payload???
I know when I was looking, the Expedition / Exp Max was the Vehicle I found with the highest payload/max axle/tongue/ and tow capacity.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2.45% financing

I had a feeling this was a troll post.